ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   Places to ride in New England? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/299630-places-ride-new-england.html)

PistolPeteUSPSA 10-17-2008 05:16 PM

Places to ride in New England?

I live in Central Massachusetts and I'm planning on buying a Polaris RZR but don't want to pull the trigger on one until I know where I can ride this thing. I have trails literally in my back yard which is great except they no longer allow ATV's on the trails out here. They are now strictly snowmobile trails. It's cool because I snowmobile as well but I typically trailer to Pittsburg, NH for that.

Anyways, I'm looking to see what we have avail. in New England to LEGALLY ride ATV's. I know Pittsburg has a great trail system that they're expanding on and I will be going there but it is a 5+ hour drive so I'm hoping to find other areas that are a few hours closer. I'm thinking I would be most interested in New Hampshire but I'm open to ideas in MA and VT as well.

I'm new to the forums here so please go easy on me. HAHA

Thanks in advance,
Pete

MooseHenden 10-17-2008 06:04 PM

Hey Pete, there are 3 places in Mass. that allow riding. They are:

Beartown State Forest (Lee, Great Barrington and Monterey) tel. # (413)528-0904
Approximately 25 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

October Mountain State Forest (Lee, Lenox, Washington and Becket) tel. # (413)243-1778
Approximately 30 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

Pittsfield State Forest (Pittsfield, Lanesboro and Hancock) tel. # (413)442-8992
Approximately 36 miles of ORV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.

More info. is here: Mass. site

Trails in VT are linked with public Class IV roads in many spots. VT requires liability insurance because of this. I've seen prices for liab. ins. around $150 per quad here in Mass. A good place to start is VASA's website: VASA VT is something like $35 registration for 2 years.

I have ridden in VT in the past as a trail goes right through a woodlot I have there. But, because of the insurance issue I haven't in awhile. I am a member of Sullivan County ATV. Just went on a poker run/foliage ride last weekend. Very nice. Website: SCATV

New Hampshire has a site with maps that show trails. They are not 100% up to date though. NH Trails map

PistolPeteUSPSA 10-17-2008 06:49 PM

So how would you rate these trail systems in MA? Are they any good at all? I'm use to riding 200+ miles of trails in Pittsburg, NH on my snowmobile and I know you don't log the same mileage on an ATV as a sled but I want to make sure if I buy one of these I have some good trails I can ride. What sucks is that I have a great trail system in my back yard but because of the stupid laws I can't ride them. I can easily go 75 miles around here.

dugpor 10-17-2008 09:25 PM

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]YOU WANT SOME GOOD RIDING ?? COME TO MAINE !!!! I SUGGEST EITHER JACKMAN OR UP NORTH. CHECK OUT JACKMANS CLUB @ BORDER RIDERS.COM, VERY ACTIVE CLUB WITH MILES AND MILES OF TRAILS RIGHT ON THE CANADIAN BORDER...RIDE INTO CANADA...MORE GOOD TRAILS. DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON ATV CLUBS MAINE....YOU'LL FIND ALL THE INFO YOU NEED.

MooseHenden 10-18-2008 11:44 AM

I haven't actually ridden at all in Massachusetts. It takes me just as long to drive to Western MA as it does to ride in NH. SCATV has a lot of trails. I've done up to 61 miles of mixed riding. They are presently working on a map that they've driven the trails with a GPS and are going to overlay on a topographic map. The Vermont trails are pretty new for the most part. They've been adding more and more miles each year. Other than Maine, you'll find that there is not a lot of wide open riding like you'd find on a snowmobile. It's usually a mix of slow technical, moderate speed bumps and small rocks, mud, and a few stretches of pin the throttle type stuff.

zz8t 10-18-2008 09:23 PM

mass sucks for riding all they do is make up more laws against it i live in central mass too and i just ride privte land and illeagle sand pits the thing that sucks about the sand pits though is thier is no parking

wildwest1011 10-18-2008 10:35 PM

I'm almost positive you cannot ride a UTV in MA..well atleast in the state parks. Maybe the RZR would be different?
Last time I went to Pittsfield State Forest there was a Rhino that was parked on a trailer...I believe the EPO's that were checking registration kept them from riding it.

06RAPPY700R 11-04-2008 08:51 PM

Hey off topic somewhat. There are a lot of places to ride but a lot of these forums dont have too many people from the new england area to ride. Me and a few people started another forum all about riding pretty much in the new england area. We do trips and what not, but its easier to know where to ride where you are located. Of course everyone is welcome to sign up but the people who started the forum are all from new england so it makes it a little easier and we have all done all over riding. Ive been down to plymouth to ride which is nuts, and Ive been way up in the mountains to ride. If your interested visit the site. We just got it running today so obviously give us some time. Doesnt matter if you have a 4x4 or a sport, dirtbike, ect. We are just trying to get a bunch of people to go riding and to find new places since they are scarce around here. the link is http://www.addicted2riding.com/

SageBoy 11-08-2008 09:09 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dugpor

[img][/img]YOU WANT SOME GOOD RIDING ?? COME TO MAINE !!!! I SUGGEST EITHER JACKMAN OR UP NORTH. CHECK OUT JACKMANS CLUB @ BORDER RIDERS.COM, VERY ACTIVE CLUB WITH MILES AND MILES OF TRAILS RIGHT ON THE CANADIAN BORDER...RIDE INTO CANADA...MORE GOOD TRAILS. DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON ATV CLUBS MAINE....YOU'LL FIND ALL THE INFO YOU NEED.</end quote></div>

Totally agree. I was up there in October for a week and we rode for 4 straight days and it was awesome. We rode from The Forks up to Jackman...Jackman to Canada..The Forks over to Greenland and everywhere else in that area. Great time of year to be on the trail with the leaves changing and the cooler temps.

Rancher247 11-24-2008 12:03 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SageBoy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dugpor

[IMG][/IMG]YOU WANT SOME GOOD RIDING ?? COME TO MAINE !!!! I SUGGEST EITHER JACKMAN OR UP NORTH. CHECK OUT JACKMANS CLUB @ BORDER RIDERS.COM, VERY ACTIVE CLUB WITH MILES AND MILES OF TRAILS RIGHT ON THE CANADIAN BORDER...RIDE INTO CANADA...MORE GOOD TRAILS. DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON ATV CLUBS MAINE....YOU'LL FIND ALL THE INFO YOU NEED.</end quote></div>

Totally agree. I was up there in October for a week and we rode for 4 straight days and it was awesome. We rode from The Forks up to Jackman...Jackman to Canada..The Forks over to Greenland and everywhere else in that area. Great time of year to be on the trail with the leaves changing and the cooler temps.</end quote></div>

I believe you mean Greenville
Anywhere in Maine is great to ride. I'm pretty sure you can ride a UTV almost anyplace here that it will fit. I'm not sure about state trails other than rail trails. I've ridden all over the state and you really can't find much in the way of bad riding. Up in Aroostook County theres miles of trails and you can go to stores and gas stations right from the trails.