Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Miller Canyon to Deep Creek...anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Sunday? I've got plans on Saturday but Sunday is open.
Where do you ride in the Sierra's? I've done a lot of moutain biking out there.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sounds like nice little ride.

Three of us would like to do this ride on Sunday morning around 10 am. Anyone want to join?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Mikestime22
Three of us would like to do this ride on Sunday morning around 10 am. Anyone want to join?
Mountainbiker PM'd me for 9am Sunday morning. So if there is a big group going, I'lll make the time.

Would 10am be alright with everybody???? I'll probably bring my son and a friend as well.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

What's everyone doing Memorial weekend?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Where's the meeting place?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

What do you typically do? Do you camp,RV or get a motel when you head out there? We usually hit Mammoth for mountain biking a couple times a summer but we usually rent a condo for a week

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Red Rider

We like to tent camp, so in the Mammoth area we usually stay in Sherwin Creek campground. It is real close to the Laurel Lakes trailhead (a must do ride!...but don't go to early in the season because it is north facing and keeps its snow until very late). From Sherwin, you have to know the routes to legally get to the riding on the north side of the highway.

I have a bunch of friends who have condos up there, and while we don't usually take them up on their offers to use their places, we are fond of using their Jacuzis after a long day on the trail!

I did the mountain bike thing for many years! I dirt biked as a kid, in the hills around the La Sierra/Corona area, but when I went to college I couldn't afford dirt bikes, so the mountain bike seemed like a good option. Started in the late 70's, when a mountain bike was still a pretty rare thing and you had to get a frame custom built (Ibis was my preference) because the major manufacturers mostly had not yet gotten into the market. I rode until a few years ago, but kept getting groin injuries and had to give it up. So....I have ridden everything in and around Mammoth, and even know where all the "secret singletrack" is!!!

In Bishop we like to camp at "Brown's Town" or up along Buttermilk Road. On Buttermilk, you can do some nice riding right out of camp, but mostly you have to trailer to all the rides no matter where you camp.

In Lone Pine, we camp at Diaz Lake and there is a hole in the fence at the back end where you can get access to a lot of DWP and BLM land and Alabama Hills. You have to trailer to Swansea, to do the Swansea/Cerro Gordo loop. Also, Olancha Dunes is a nice place to camp in the area as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Red Rider

Also, Kennedy Meadowns (Sequoia National Forest, Cannel Mountain Ranger District) is a must do ride! The quadding is limited, but if one is a dirt biker looking for woods singletrack, it is the ultimate playground!!!

Maps and Brochures - Sequoia National Forest - USDA Forest Service

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recr...m_ohv_map.html

YouTube - dirtbike helmet cam

Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

I've rode Kennedy Meadows a few times on my mountain bike and really love the area. Cannell is a annual favorite of myself and friends and we usually do it around the middle or the latter part of June, mostly depending if the road to Sherman Peak is open and the snow is mostly gone. We do a ride called the Cannell Plunge. It takes a while to do this and the last part facing Lake Isabella is the Plunge part where it drops you about 5,000 feet in about 5 miles. I've seen a few motos up there but never a quad. I love riding thru the trees though and love the beauty of the area.

We have tons of camping stuff and I have everything from ultralight single person to a couple huge multperson tents. We also have RV stuff but can't pull it all.My preference is to keep it simple. Sounds like you guys have a wealth of knowledge in this area. I'm looking foward to learning more. We are still exploring and learning more about riding so the immediate area is fine with us at this time but I look foward to heading out to quad ride this area this season.

Quick Reply: So. Calif.-Miller Canyon to Deep Creek...anyone???