ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   Illinois trails (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/335585-illinois-trails.html)

3_Polaris_ATVs 03-12-2011 10:56 PM

Illinois trails

Just tripped across this and thought I would share.
IllinoisATV.com

sdm24 07-09-2012 08:52 PM

thanks for the post.

jcdc04atv 07-24-2012 10:48 PM

Isn't it a shame how few trails there are in Illinois? When I look at neighboring states, we have so many potential places such as Shawnee Nat Forest in southern IL, rolling terrain along both the Mississippi and IL rivers, and all those abandon railroad beds that could be converted to rails for trails.

Sidewayzz 03-11-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jcdc04atv (Post 3128271)
Isn't it a shame how few trails there are in Illinois? When I look at neighboring states, we have so many potential places such as Shawnee Nat Forest in southern IL, rolling terrain along both the Mississippi and IL rivers, and all those abandon railroad beds that could be converted to rails for trails.

Agree! This state is terrible. Sorry for reviving an old thread but usually when you post a question everyone says try searching..lol
New-ish here so not sure how things go.

If anyone has any spots that are new or interesting please let me know.

user493 03-11-2018 11:45 PM

It looks like the link in the first post died of old age. I've heard about people in Ohio not having enough places to ride too. RiderPlanet USA is a good resource to find nearby trails, but depending on exactly where you are, you may need to leave the state to find good ones. Try to contact someone locally before making a long drive to a new place. https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...inois_list.htm

Sidewayzz 03-12-2018 12:03 AM

Thank you for the link.

Kymco 450i 03-12-2018 10:55 AM

States like your and mine (ohio) don't seem to mind giving up thousands in tax dollars by not expanding there trail system. Ohio has a high number in ATV/UTV sales but most are used in other states. There is big business to be had in a good trail system, motels, restaurants, service centers along with recreational businesses. Just look at the Hatfield/McCoy system in WV.....hundreds of start up businesses in that area. With the popularity of these machines combined with camping and all the empty space left over from railroads, minning operations, logging areas, etc there are gold mines just waiting for people to start there own businesses. Unfortunately the state just drags there feet and does nothing except make it difficult to get started all the while complaining about not getting enough tax money!! Go figure, I do know our governor is dumb as a box of rocks, not sure how smart yours is??

greg74 03-12-2018 01:00 PM

Illinois does have some decent places to go ride. Little Egypt and Williams Hill Pass in Southern Illinois are both nice. Supposedly another park is going to be built in the same area as well. There is an old rail trail between Carmi and Eldorado IL, used to be the the B&0 Railroad but has been an atv trail for probably at least 20 years. Its continuous between Carmi and Norris City, after Norris City the trail breaks up somewhat because the old trestles were removed so you'd have to find an alternate route to cross them. At Eldorado, it then becomes a paved bike trail and atvs are not allowed past that point. I haven't ridden it in years but its still there. I have family that lives in the area and I drive by it often. Main trail is easy but side trails off into the creek beds are a bit more challenging. As far as extensive trail systems, I guess Illinois doesn't really have those. Our state is terrible at handling money. State workers barely get paid, I don't see extensive amounts of money being invested in an atv trail system anytime soon.

Kymco 450i 03-12-2018 02:47 PM

States are always looking to raise tax noney, but it appears they dont want to do anything to make that happen! Oh wait..weed seens to be the new cash crop and the state govt doenst have to do a damn thing

user493 03-12-2018 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewayzz (Post 3388468)
Thank you for the link.

You're welcome. I just looked at Google Maps to check some distances from Illinois to trails in Michigan and it looks like over a 7 hour round trip, minimum, and 6 hours starting from Ohio, but I know some people have done it or at least planned it.