Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Ky. Bills 491 offroad ...evil mud alert

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N. Ky. Bills 491 offroad ...evil mud alert

We recently went to Bills 491 Offroad in Crittenden ky...I really just wanna "warn" people about this place if it is overly wet...Now don't take this as a do not go there post as I believe if it was dryer we woulda had more fun BUT the day we went it was not dry,,,The mud there is wicked,,,evil stuff...Bill had told us he brings in 150-200 tons of gravel every year to keep the parking areas decent...sounds good right...no...all the gravel did was to "reinforce" the clay that would fly off yer tires and pack yer floorboards and fenders with gravel infused mud...it was so bad that our friends razrs wheel wells were so loaded he could not turn the wheels This is true clay ! sticky tough stuff infused with gravel. every time we would stop for a break we were digging this stuff off the footwells to be able to put our feet back on the footboards,,I run a polaris 500 and at one point, while in 2WD, I hit the gas to go and the front wheels just slid!!! So it was 4WD for the rest of the day...it was nuts.
Then to get home..the quads had gained many many pounds (of mud) so loading was much tougher and then with such stuff on a quad, packed in the springs, under the fendersm and everywhere else ya cannot let this stuff sit and harden up..water wouldn't even blast this stuff off ! we had to dig it out or scrape it off with an old window scraper.

So if yer gonna go there go when its dry or plan on a few hours of cleaning to get the remnants of this place off yer vehicles...not to mention he would not open an easy gate to exit and made us back up a 20' trailer on an f250 crew cab atop a ridge with a virtual cliff behind us !! this was a lil unnerving activity...talk about a 10 pt turn.

Thats all I got..go when its dry and your experience will be much better than ours as it is a nice layout and good trails.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Does not sound pleasent at all. I like a little mud but that's crazy, nasty stuff.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Being behind someone and dodging flying mud and gravel does not sound like my idea of fun.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the front...but I would bet that from watching what my quad did with the mud, sling it onto my front rack , the mud on the footwells was from my back tires! I bet not much flew off the tires to the rear...being so sticky it flew forward...amazing stuff...SO if yer inclined to ride there and not spend hours scraping the sticky stuff off yer vehicles...go when its DRY. I surely enjoy mud...but regular mud...not this freaky stuff...lol