Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Why No Concealed Carry on Trails?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I forgot to mention. Anything "political" should go in this thread: OHV Riders Rights and also Politics - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

I'm all for a spirited discussion. (I'm why the administrator created the political section) In the future we should post in that section. I'm leaving it be. Everybody is behaving. Shocking, I know!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Was thinking about it. The only time I had the gun out of the holster was when I was having lunch along the side of a trail up in Northern NH. Something was in the thick brush making the weirdest sound and I couldn't identify it. I left it out in the open to grab quickly. Whatever it was moved on after a few minutes. Wasn't about to let a black bear have my lunch...

Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for pointing that out. Still kinda new here. Will check that out.

Yeah, its not like you will need a gun often on the trail......but it sure comes in handy if you do....whether its defending yourself from human or animal predators, or signaling for help...or if you are stuck and the wife just won't help you .....er uh.....I mean you need to shoot something to eat. LOL! Just kidding ofcourse.....about the wife thing. My wife is awesome....That's why I have a 2-up Can Am....cause she loves to ride too

Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Probably closest thing I'd need it for is snakes.

50% of the time because it's a poisonous snake.

50% of the time because the women won't settle down because it's a non poisonous snake.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry because my UTV cost me $8500 and would be very easy to steal by an armed individual while I'm riding or stopped on a break.

When I was in the Army, we had regularly 24 hour long duties manning the phones or guarding the ammo dump. We would patrol the ammo dumps carrying our M16s but we weren't allowed to have ammo. Stupid, right? Well, a gang of thugs from the bad part of town got on base and jumped a small group of soldiers to steal their M16's . If they carried loaded weapons, this probably would have never happened.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Drewd
I carry because my UTV cost me $8500 and would be very easy to steal by an armed individual while I'm riding or stopped on a break.

When I was in the Army, we had regularly 24 hour long duties manning the phones or guarding the ammo dump. We would patrol the ammo dumps carrying our M16s but we weren't allowed to have ammo. Stupid, right? Well, a gang of thugs from the bad part of town got on base and jumped a small group of soldiers to steal their M16's . If they carried loaded weapons, this probably would have never happened.
I've never understood unarmed soldiers on base like that... Don't know who came up with the policy but all it's done is cause too many good men to be killed not being able to defend themselves.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Most important thing here is to make sure you know the law. As someone said, in Va. signage has zero force of law and a person needs to be asked to leave and refuse for them to be charged with trespassing. West Va... same rule, signage has no force of law. But like I said, make sure that you know the law and if your carrying concealed that you can.
Now, I'm not saying that I carry a gun when I'm riding but IF I DID and it was concealed that it would be in a secure riding holster such as a shoulder holster or in a IWB holster with retention. In Va, it's perfectly legal to open carry a sidearm but concealed needs a permit.
I value my ride along with all the items on it and all the items on my person. I'll just leave it at that.
This is a GREAT source of info concerning current laws, rules and regulations for states IRT handguns. Handgunlaw.us
There are also separate laws, rules and regs for knives: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf and US Knife Laws | KnifeUp

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Plus, I know the OP was a few years old, but it would have been appropriate to state which parks he was referring to, cause I see it as 50/50. This biggest on Hatfield/McCoys doesn't state anything about them being prohibited.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewd

Yep you can thanks ex president Bill Clinton for starting the disarmament of out military bases and then Obama finished them off by not allowing anyone on base to have ammo. I have a good friend that came back from the middle east and when the US big cheese come on base al ammo is locked up and only dummy rounds are allowed in rifles for the guards. If we were ever to be attacked while the dog and pony show is going on our troops are sitting ducks. Makes you wonder just what the big cheese are afraid of??