Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Why No Concealed Carry on Trails?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why No Concealed Carry on Trails?

So I've been looking up places to go ride in VA, WV, PA, etc and have noticed that all of the private trail networks have a no firearms/weapons rule. Understandable that you don't want hunting/long guns on property where people ride. I'm wondering about this more from a concealed carry/personal protection view.

Why is this? Insurance/liability purposes? I find it odd especially in these generally 2A friendly states.

AFAIK in VA no firearms signs and rules on private property do not carry force of law. You can definitely be asked to leave and can then be charged with trespassing if you refuse, but simply having a firearm on private property that is signed otherwise is not a crime.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

This is the law on concealed carry on others private property in Texas.

"Private property owners are allowed to prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on their property if they provide proper legal notice of trespassing by a CHL holder with a concealed handgun given in compliance with Texas Penal Code §30.06. Notice may be given verbally or in writing with a statutory warning or by signage with the statutory warning in English and Spanish, in one inch high block letters posted in a conspicuous place."

The key here is the penal code notice. If it's there and posted according to law, you can be arrested and charged. If not, like other places if you are asked to take the weapon off property you must do so.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In N.J. only bad guys have concealed guns cause us law abiding citizens can't be trusted

Old 10-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Concealed carry....?

My thoughts are if its concealed, who's gonna know? I'll take the chance and carry, in the off chance I will ever need to use it. Think about it...its highly unlikely, but I'd rather take the chance of having it on me than not have if I should need it. Yeah, yeah.....laws laws laws......blah blah blah....Last time I checked, the constitution guaranteed me a right to keep and bear arms......didn't put limits on where or when. I'd rather be alive facing charges for defending myself than DEAD because I couldn't defend myself. But like I said originally, who's gonna know if its concealed....?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I would have to question the thought process of someone who decides it's a good idea to attack someone out in the woods that may be armed and may also have a shovel.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you're also hunting, why would you need to carry a firearm while riding? The only reason I could see is if there were dangerous predators also in the area that could attack you. While on your quad or utv you could simply outrun them but that's a different story if you are at your campsite and a mountain lion or bear shows up as you're grilling some burgers. Your safety could be threatened then.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Because its my right. And rights must be exercised or they will be lost. What do you think will happen to the 1st amendment if the 2nd is infringed upon? It's not all just about personal defense....its a guaranteed right. But besides that.....STRANGE things can happen in the woods. I know, I'm originally from WV....LOL!!!

The following users liked this post:
Gonzee71 (03-21-2021)
Old 10-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I carry, and it's not a part time thing.

Gonzee71 (03-21-2021)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I talked to some guys on another forum who had gone down to Hatfield/McCoy. They were stopped for a break by the side of a trail. Two guys came up to them and said, "Were you the guys shooting about 15 minutes ago?" When they told them that they weren't the two guys held them up and took all the cash in their wallets. None of them were carrying.

Do I carry when riding? Sometimes. Mostly if I'm by myself. There are bad people everywhere. Yes, mostly in the cities. But there are enough you have to be careful, even out on the trails.

Gonzee71 (03-21-2021)
Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

So.....any other question as to why you SHOULD carry.....ALL the time...? Some sign is not going to keep me from exercising my right to protect myself.

As far as why they post those stupid signs?.....Only reason I can think is either for Liability purposes or Political correctness. I say phooey to both. We need to ramp up the responsibility meter in this country again!!!! People are too law suit happy and ready to point the blame at someone else for their own problems because they think themselves more important than everyone else......and all for the sake of greed. Very sad.

Sorry to go off on a rant.....but certain things get cranked up. 2A rights is one of them. Next thing you know they will be making atv's illegal. Grrrr!!!

Quick Reply: Why No Concealed Carry on Trails?