Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from Colorado: I'm so lucky as I have beautiful scenic trails within two hours of my home. There are places to spend the night on these trails. Here is a view from the trail ride I took a few weeks ago. It is the Breckenridge ski area taken from Georgia Pass on the east side of the valley. We were at 11000 feet.

The best trail riding is probably in the Silverton Durango area in southern Colorado. There you can ride different trails for several days. I've not been there yet. Moab Utah is also another ATV mecca.

All of these locations are a long, long drive from Indiana. But for a very special vacation, it might be worth it. You mentioned big mountains and scenic views. Colorado has that in spades. I might add the trails can be pretty steep, both up and down. They are also very rocky. Possibly different that what you are used to. Same with the thin air at high altitude.

David

Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. This is going to be a special trip, and traveling out west doesn't bother me even if it does mean some long days of driving to get out there and back. Sometimes the journey is part of the fun. I fly accross the world for a living (literally the one flying the plane), so long trips don't bother me.

I have heard many rave of Hatfield and Mccoys, but honestly I don't think it's what I am looking for here. I want mountains and views and rivers and trees. I have been to Colorado before. Once 15 years ago for a month long survival course. It was epic and that's the same thing I would like to see on this one with my family and via riding on ATV's.

I am not necessarily looking for steep or dangerous trails though. I have done some, but my wife and young son have not and I want it to be something they can easily drive on also.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Thanks for all the replies. This is going to be a special trip, and traveling out west doesn't bother me even if it does mean some long days of driving to get out there and back. Sometimes the journey is part of the fun. I fly accross the world for a living (literally the one flying the plane), so long trips don't bother me.

I have heard many rave of Hatfield and Mccoys, but honestly I don't think it's what I am looking for here. I want mountains and views and rivers and trees. I have been to Colorado before. Once 15 years ago for a month long survival course. It was epic and that's the same thing I would like to see on this one with my family and via riding on ATV's.

I am not necessarily looking for steep or dangerous trails though. I have done some, but my wife and young son have not and I want it to be something they can easily drive on also.
The thing I like a lot about Utah is there is pretty much every type or riding but deep mud. We rode sand dunes at Coral Pink Sand Dune State Park 2 hours south of Marysvale. There also is St. Anthony Dunes a couple hours north of there. Red rock in Moab, and around Bryce. Crazy rock formations at San Rafael Swell and more tree lined trails on the Arapeen Trail system that connects with the north of the Paiute Trail. There is also the Great Western Trail that goes from Utah's northern border all the way to the southern end of the state.

I'm thinking of going back out once some family matters get finalized.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piaute trail system would hit all your goals for your planned vacation. Do a search for YouTube videos. You'll find tons of information. That is one of my vacation destinations as well. Good luck with deciding where to go!!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it sounds like the Piaute system would be the best choice for the kind of experience you want. Just make sure you take plenty of pics when you go we all love seeing those.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Colorado but I must say Utah is much more ATV friendly than Colorado. ATVs are street legal there, and you can ride to town for breakfast or dinner. And you may be able to ride to the trailhead on a country road as well. And don't forget to stop at the gas station to fill up your machines before you hit the trails. You will likely have to purchase an out of state trail pass and stick it on your ATV somewhere.

I visited Moab a couple of years ago to visit the national parks. I was impressed with all the ATV activity on mainstreet. This RZR was parked in front of the pizza joint we went to. Very cool. And this RZR was with the folks in the campground we stayed at. ATVs everywhere.

David

Attached Thumbnails Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-1605-moab-atv-rzr-small-.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-1605-moab-atv-racy-small-.jpg  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Call911,
I've never ridden the Piaute trail myself as I am still fairly new to the ATV scene having only ridden for 3 years. I know here in Montana we are able to license our machines and drive them on the streets with a horn, mirror, and of course registered plates and trail sticker $150 for permanent license. We have an unbelievable trail systems in Western Montana that are connected and some that are 20-30 miles between trail heads and then have hundreds of miles of trails. As we've ridden we have seen dispersed camp sites all over the place along the trails. As earlier suggested google to see what is available in the areas suggested. Our area as well, I am still in awe at our area each time I go out and hit a new trail the beauty and grandeur we see. Have been riding our trails for the past 3 years and just scratched the surface of what is available to us. Not to mention 2 great National parks Yellowstone in the south west and Glacier in the North west.

Attached Thumbnails Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20150607_161109.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20150726_160849.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20150726_160241.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20150810_111542.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20160812_161714.jpg  

Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20161009_160226.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20170715_140634.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-20160812_102730.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-glacier-august-2010_0086.jpg   Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-glacier-national-park-8-11-106.jpg  

Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?-lake-mcdonald-1-.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Great pics of beautiful country.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call911,

One thing I don't recall seeing you mention is time of year for this trip? That is going to critically play into where you would be able to go for this trip.

Primetime for Paiute and high country of CO is mid summer to late summer, maybe into early fall. Earlier than mid summer could mean upper elevation trails possibly blocked by large snow drifts and would be impassable.

Primetime for lower Utah areas, Moab for example is going to be fall or spring. Summer is very hot in Moab and I would not suggest it for a summer trip.

I can't comment on Montana but suspect it is also going to be mid summer to late summer.

I haven't seen Alaska mentioned but that also entails dealing with brown bear and possibly having a guide. Of course, that would be best to fly to and rent.

Also not seen mentioned is in central CO, there is Taylor Park and is exactly what you are looking for too. Paiute and Taylor Park are the first two locations that really meet your expectations that came to mind for me... although I haven't been to the Paiute yet... YET!

Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mena, Arkansas has a pretty nice place, i have not been there but a friend of mine has and had some nice pics, you can even pull off the trail at spots and fish and swim!