Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Best place in the US for this type of ATV trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I would have a problem getting up that trail except for beating up my truck. It's my daily driver so I really don't want a lot of dents and dings in it.

It's weird how video never shows how steep a slope is. I think it's because people point their cameras up the trail so tney aren't really pointing from a level angle. So it doesn't show the difference in the angles.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed that about a lot of videos. The trails always look easy in the videos. You're thinking, why are they going so slow? I do think many people purposely go slow on trails to check out the scenery. I'm one that likes to go as fast on a trail that I can safely manage. There are some trails that 10 mph might be too fast but I don't want to go 10 mph on a trail that I can easily manage at 25-30 mph. I like nice scenery too but going too slow just isn't fun for me. Last year for instance, I was at a local riding park and I met a couple other riders and decided to join them for a while. I just couldn't stand how slow they wanted to ride. The trails weren't difficult, I would routinely go about 20-25 mph on most of them. I had to stop, put my atv in low and creep around at 10 mph and they still couldn't keep up. I started going even slower and I kept looking back and they still were so far back I could barely see them. I finally just had to part ways with them. Going that slow on easy trails was boring to me.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

I've had that problem riding with friends too. We went out to ride to the end of the trail system then ride back.. I guess they wanted it to be dark when they rode back because they went ridiculously slow going out. I was behind them and I thought several times about just turning around and finding another trail to ride. But I stuck with them to the end of the trail and we started back. They were going a little faster but I wasn't about to spend another 2 hours riding back on a 1 hour trail. So I told them I was going back an Sther way. I went through a really remote section by myself at night rather than ride slow all the way back. I still beat them back to the trailhead. They did show up as I was just finishing loading my ATV. That was when they told me they just wanted it to be dark on the way back which is why they rode so slow. Well thanks for telling me that up front. I could have rode that trail twice in the time it took them to get to the end.

I usually liked to ride alone though. I know people will say that's a bad idea but I always went really slow when I was by myself, I'd be out in the middle of nowhere alone at night and I loved it. I knew the trails and I knew that ridiing as slow as I did I wasn't likely to roll over or anything. I could handle a breakdown. I was always prepared to spend the night if needed. But I always did like riding to a really remote spot and just parking and walking a while or just sitting waiting for the wildlife to show up. I saw some really unique stuff doing that. I even took my dog with me at times. If he got tired he would just ride with me on the ATV. I had a box fixed up for him on the front rack. He loved that stuff. I took him to remote lakes and he would chase frogs for hours. A lot of why I like to ride is the places it allowed me to go. I'd go to Hatfield McCoy alone too and a person can ride trails there where you may not see another rider for a week. But I grew up in the woods and hills and at that time I could walk a long way to get cell phone service. It would have taken several days to walk all the way out of some of those places.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

Well, I was looking into Hatfield and McCoy a bit more. I didn't realize I was as close to this as I am. It's definitely within driving distance which is HUGE for me. As much as I want to go out west to the Paiute Trail, logistically for plane tickets, truck or SUV rental, then full size SXS rental to fit my family plus food, hotel/camping gear and it's gonna get out of my price range likely too quick unfortunately.

But now I have ran into a new snag. While reading the rules on Hatfield and McCoy it seems all riders must be over the age of 8. This trip will be next year and depending on when we go, my oldest may still be 7. My youngest however will only be 3. So, this may be a game changer. Anyone know the specifics on this there? Is it okay if they are seated, and belted in a SXS? Or do they really not allow kids that young?

If this is the case, does anyone have any other suggestions given the age if my kids? Worst case scenario I may be forced to leave my youngest at home and just bring the oldest and my wife but I really wanted this to be a whole family thing if I could.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

Also, I should specify that I don't own a SUV or a SXS yet. However I am in the market here soon to get my first SXS. The plan is to get a Polaris RZR 900S. It is a 2 seater, and the plan was if I find something within driving range of me in North Eastern Indiana to trailer it and rent another.

Thought more info might help.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't want to hit the trails with a 3 year old even if I could. There must be someone who can babysit for you.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I wouldn't want to hit the trails with a 3 year old even if I could. There must be someone who can babysit for you.
Yeah, we can get a sitter. As much as I wanted this to be a family thing, you may have a good point and it may be a bit much for our 3 year old.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a woman riding a 3-wheeler with a baby on her lap. Of course neither one had any protective gear. I didn't think that was a very good idea, but maybe she did. Even in a somewhat enclosed vehicle like a RZR, I don't think little kids should be subjected to bumpy rides, especially long ones, or trails where another vehicle can fly around a curve and hit you head on. Some people always want to take the inside of the curves no matter which side of the trail that puts them on. Even if you're doing everything right you can have a crash.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I saw a woman riding a 3-wheeler with a baby on her lap. Of course neither one had any protective gear. I didn't think that was a very good idea, but maybe she did. Even in a somewhat enclosed vehicle like a RZR, I don't think little kids should be subjected to bumpy rides, especially long ones, or trails where another vehicle can fly around a curve and hit you head on. Some people always want to take the inside of the curves no matter which side of the trail that puts them on. Even if you're doing everything right you can have a crash.
I have to agree with jumbofrank on this. I've been off my ATV taking a nature break on a day where I hadn't seen anyone on the trails except me all day. It was a week day. Just a little while after the schools let out I was standing beside my ride and I hear a sport ATV start up maybe a little over a quarter of a mile away. Before I could get on my ATV to move it out of the way they were bearing down on me going at least 50 and probably more. Thanks to the brilliant idea someone had about making ATV's green that rider didn't even see me on the trail. I thought about jumping off but then I thought I could get hit without an ATV absorbing the blow. He finally saw me maybe 50 feet before ramming me and he hit the brakes hard, slid sideways with dirt and rocks flying, and came to a stop less than a foot from my bumper. You don't even have to be moving for someone to wipe you out.

Hatfield McCoy is a HUGE trail system. I usually am on the trail until my gas starts getting low which means I'm out 4-5 hours or more depending on how fast I ride. And ususally I'll gas up and head back out and maybe do it again if I have daylight left. In certain areas there are a lot of sport ATV's going very fast. It doesn't seem to bother them that they stir up so much dust that no one can see where they're going. And they're going up to 60 mph. I try to get through those areas into the more remote sections before I get killed. And I'm riding alone. It would be a long, hard ride for a small kid and they don't make helmets for kids that small that I know of (which btw will be required for HM). I've seen people riding husband and wife and a 2 year old on a sport ATV going very fast on the trails. I don't understand that. I don't think a child should be subjected to that kind of danger myself but I don't get to think for everyone and wouldn't want to. But kids don't get to make their own decisions and IMO no one should be forced to take a 5 hour bumpy ride with lots of dust, bugs, spiders and the occasional snake (I've ran over many of them not being able to stop in time - would have stopped right on top of them - so I gun it instead and hope for the best - good boots are a requirement IMO) not to mention technical trails that can cause problems and crazy riders that can cause even more problems.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input.

Although both my kids love the sport (my oldest has ridden around with me for longer than that at one time on my ATV, and frankly I wanted to stop and get off sooner than he did), I can certainly appreciate the desire for safety. If I bring the oldest, helmets and safety gear are a must.