Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

On road legal in ohio

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On road legal in ohio

What do i have to have on my rzr to make it on road legal in ohio?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can make it road legal my best guess would be that you need mirrors, turn signals, and a horn at a minimum, and a windshield unless you're wearing eye protection. Maybe a lighted license plate holder or even mud flaps. Every place is different so you may not need them all in Ohio.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You"ll have to check your local laws. Some places just require you to register them and others just reject them no matter what you do. Mirrors, turn signals, horn are pretty much standard requirements in every state, basically giving your utv the same stuff as what a car would have. You already have headlights, tailights, seatbelts, rollcage, and speedometer. It still boggles my mind that bicycles are allowed on the highway though. I was coming home from work late last night and I almost had to swerve to avoiding running over someone on a bicycle. 11:30 pm and I could barely see him. I look at bicycles like this, they can't maintain minimum speed limits and shouldn't be allowed on main roads. In town and rural roads, fine. On highways or any busy city street where speed limit is above 30 mph, should be stricly banned. First offense is confiscation of your bicycle and a huge fine, $500 seems fair.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Moto Psycho

I agree that bikes have no place on highways. There are organized rides across Michigan every year including a ride from Lansing, the state capital, all the way up to Mackinaw City where the Mackinac Bridge starts, or even beyond the bridge. The distance varies from 284 to 411 miles over 4 or 5 days depending on which route you take. They stay on country roads when they can but also ride on highways. It's okay for them to hold up traffic but not for us to ride our ATVs that can be seen easier and go a lot faster. It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta check with your state DMV. ATVs and UTVs are not legal in Colorado unless a local jurisdiction deems ATV/UTV regulations and/or routes. ATV riding in Colorado is a big tourism draw. The trails are wonderful, scenic and challenging.

In Minnesota, UTVs were allowed on rural roads only, in some counties only.

In Utah and Arizona, ATVs and UTVs are legal almost everywhere except big cities.

I think making ATVs street legal with restrictions would be a boon to the hobby, and take pressure off the ATV trails. If I could ride some of the very scenic Forest Service and County roads in Colorado, I would have less need to dodge Jeeps and dirt bikes on the more popular off highways trails here.

This 50cc, 45 mph scooter is legal in Colorado. Why not my ATV?

David

Old 09-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bikes especially at night are very dangerous. Once again, I saw most likely the same guy riding his bike on the relatively short commute home. At least this time, he was properly riding against traffic on the left side of the road so his headlight could actually be seen by traffic closest to him. The taillight his bike has can barely be seen. At least the scooter can maintain minimum speed, on most 2 lane highways that is 40-45 mph. Relatively close to my area, there is an Amish community so you occasionally will see one of their buggys on the highway. They are now required to have lights and they at least seldom travel after dark. At least the buggy is their primary transportation, I see a bicycle as a means of getting exercise. Get your exercise somewhere other than a place where a blind hill or curve can get you ran over.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by greg74
The bikes especially at night are very dangerous. Once again, I saw most likely the same guy riding his bike on the relatively short commute home. At least this time, he was properly riding against traffic on the left side of the road so his headlight could actually be seen by traffic closest to him. The taillight his bike has can barely be seen. At least the scooter can maintain minimum speed, on most 2 lane highways that is 40-45 mph. Relatively close to my area, there is an Amish community so you occasionally will see one of their buggys on the highway. They are now required to have lights and they at least seldom travel after dark. At least the buggy is their primary transportation, I see a bicycle as a means of getting exercise. Get your exercise somewhere other than a place where a blind hill or curve can get you ran over.
Ride in the direction of the traffic. Riding against traffic on the wrong side of the road is illegal and increases a cyclist's risk dramatically because it increases closing speeds and turning motorists are likely to not even look for traffic in the direction from which a wrong-way cyclist would be coming. How to Ride a Bike Safely (with Pictures) - wikiHow