ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/375865-n-michigan-st-helen-mio-rose-city-west-brabch.html)

4-tracker 11-26-2018 05:33 PM

Surprise for the Holiday!! My son, daughter in law and my grandson arrived for the long Holiday weekend, from Seattle! I had the new sxs hidden behind the fence gates, awaiting their arrival. After visiting with them for awhile, I asked grandson (17 yr old) to open the gate, and what a great surprised look on his face, which gave me just as much a thrill, maybe even more! lol He jumped up on it, and off he went, with this super grin, ear to ear! It hurts so much, not being able to be a part of their lives, all year long, but for just those few moments, seeing the thrill on his face, almost makes up for all that lost time, all year long! ''ALMOST''!! Damned frig-gen 180, life directions sometimes!!!!!!!! I bought him a mini bike a few yrs ago, but he's already outgrown it, and is ready for more big boy things! I told him if he lived out here, we would be riding all the time! lol

Big Frank 11-26-2018 06:29 PM

I can picture you looking out the window at the snow, jumping up and down saying oh boy oh boy oh boy. :) Just because we grow old doesn't mean we have to grow up. :thumbsup: I used to like plowing because it gave me a reason to saddle up the old steed, but now it just means I have to go outside when I'd rather not. The storm looks like it dumped 1/2 of the snow they predicted or a little more. The only shoveling I did was the back steps and my trailer. There were only a few inches of snow on my truck when I finally went out before dark to sweep it off with a soft-bristle push broom. It was slushy underneath the snow in my driveway but freezing again by then. It's the kind of crap my snowblower could never handle.

Kymco 450i 11-26-2018 07:19 PM

Amazing how the forecast is always for twice as much as we actually get! It seems like a competition to see who can predict a higher amount. They act like a little snow is a blizzard nowadays. We only received a little over a quarter inch and you would have thought Armageddon was upon us!

Big Frank 11-27-2018 03:18 AM

LOL. Either that or they say it will completely miss us and we get hammered. It must be nice to have a job where you can always be wrong and not get fired. And when did they start giving winter storms names like they do with tropical storms and hurricanes? This one was called Bruce and it was the first time I heard the name of one. Any other time it was just a storm or blizzard. The great blizzard of -- (city and/or year).

4-tracker 11-27-2018 05:23 AM

Huge winter storms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prediction for this winter!

Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow! Its going to snow!

BIG! HUGE! MONSTER!

2018 STORMS https://atvconnection.com/forums/ima...ons/icon14.gif :go crazy:

Kymco 450i 11-27-2018 10:35 AM

Better whoa up there on your want for snowstorms buddy...your plow wont handle 18" of snow! Hope for three storms of 6" each!!

4-tracker 11-27-2018 01:14 PM

I've got this little neighborhood insurance business next to me on our corner, and We have helped one another out whenever there's been deep snow, but this year I'm hoping on giving him an early Xmas gift/surprise (if we get any snow before then) by plowing his lot and walks. He has always paid the plow guys in the past, so i'm sure he will appreciate the help, and will also give me some extra practice/experience!
You think I might need chains? sandbags?

Kymco 450i 11-27-2018 02:21 PM

Couple sandbags wont hurt, when I had my quad, I always had a couple sandbags strapped on the rear rack. Weight is your friend when plowing snow! With the weight of my UTV they are not needed....if that ever is needed, I will just have my grandson sit in he back!! Lol... ..

Big Frank 11-27-2018 05:15 PM

I ordered a set of chains but I don't remember where I got them from. Probably the sportsman's guide catalog. The instructions said not to go over 15 MPH with them on. If it said that in the ad I wouldn't have ordered them, but I sent them back without using them. I didn't want to put them on to plow and take them back off when I went for a ride, off and on over and over. I've never had chains on any kind of vehicle I've ever owned. If you have a heavy plow on a fairly light ATV it will lighten up the back end so much when you raise the plow that may lose traction. It's happened to me with a heavy Sportsman and neither one of my plows was very big. My old plow was 50" plus the side shields that added some weight and my new plow is 52". The sandbags really help you get more traction, and you don't want to spin your wheels on gravel. I started with 3 bags but when one got a hole in it after being used for several years I just used the other 2 bags. That's still 120 pounds and it worked well for me.

4-tracker 11-27-2018 06:40 PM

I've got so many stupid questions and here comes another one, from this wanna-be country, city slicker lol Where in the world do you find burlap bags to make sand bags, or does any place sell sand bags? I see East coasters filling em during the flooding seasons on the news, but never in a million years did I think I would ever have a need for em. I want to be so ''almost ready'', by the time ole man winter shows up. I too have only used chains once, going through the Wa. State mountain passes, and it was good I had them because as we were leaving out of the state heading into Oregon the pass was suddenly closed and only vehicles w/ chains could pass! They worked great and by the time we got into California we had the chains off and convertible top down into the 70's within a few hrs later! Then late that night we drove through LA during the worst flooding that night! LA has ever seen, houses were sliding down the sides of hills! Then still drove on towards Phenom to get out of the flooding rain, and finally out of exhaustion pulled off highway, waking up next morning, finding ourselves out in the desert of Palm Springs, dry as a bone, and bright sun! What an experience all in one day, and all started out with them bad luck, crazy chains!! Never used any since! lol