ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/375865-n-michigan-st-helen-mio-rose-city-west-brabch.html)

YamahaMoto 04-21-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4-tracker (Post 3417252)
I spent half the day yesterday detailing new trail maps for upcoming trip to Baldwin....phew! I needed a good day for it, since there was nothing outside worth doing as cold/damp as it was, But I hate getting to new areas unprepared, or lost in the woods, somewhere, especially, close to dracula's waking up time, near dark! lol Been there done that, too many times....scarry!! Coyotes start howling....makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, and pay attention!! Here's what I have laid out so far, and hope it shows the whole map. I sent Chris a copy, but he said parts were missing.

Yup you've got the trails mapped out. Those are the closest trails to me so those are the only trail systems I go to. There great! unless you go super early spring like i did last month.... all mud and about 2+ inches of water... not the best combo for test riding a Trx 450er! During the summer you'll love them, let me know if you have any question about any trails or the area. Tin Cup is my favorite, its wide and has hills and goes through cool area but my second which is wider and more relaxing is Little Manistie. It connects to a gas station and its wide dirt with a mix of some sand and flat and smooth.

4-tracker 04-21-2019 05:38 PM

Did I do a good enough job, mapping the entire area out? Anything missing? Any thing I should add? Anyway to ride into Baldwin? I've Never ridden there, and had to study and trace the map, from other less detailed maps, after enlarging them, so I could see or catch every turn in the trail! and to have something showing elevations, swamps, roads, ect. Then added places that my friend told me about, like gas, restaurants, camps, motels etc. still working on adding more to it, with input from others, that have been there, and after I finally ride there myself! Good to hear positive things about the place, can't wait to see it for myself, this weekend!

Question? Is there a trail joining Tin cut to Manistee trail? DNR maps don't show any.

Just put the Honda TRX450r up for sale, on Craigs today. Your right about it not being the right machine for those kinds of conditions, and is why I bought the Suzuki KQ 750, with new more aggressive tires too, that should get me through most anything that comes, its way lol

YamahaMoto 04-21-2019 06:31 PM

Yeah you did a good job. The gas station is the only one in there area and connects to little maniste, hence, gets a lot of business. The only thing i dont know if you have yet that id add is where all of the parking lots are on the trails and make sure you can still see the roads on the map.

No there is not a direct trail that connects Tin Cup to little Manistee or the other tails. However, since the trails were so muddy we explored all the dirt roads in the area and ripped around. Its legal to ride all the dirt roads there and on the edge of almost all of the normal roads. We found that we could ride some of the dirt roads almost straight from little maniste to Tin cup so you could do visvera too. We markered the trail on my dads GPS but i dont remember the street names or exact path. Sorry bout that. We took the dirt roads from the second parking lot on little Maniste and it took us to the trail right next to the power lines that people ride off the Tin cup trail.

Did that help? any other questions or anything i missed to awnser?

4-tracker 04-21-2019 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to mention the main reason for making the map, was for having all the trails on one page, mounted on a platform, in front of me, while riding, without having to stop for very long, trying to see small details! that's why the heavy marker showing the trails, especially helpful on night rides!, The dnr maps are horrible, with there faintly micro fine trail lines, where you would need a flashlight, microscope, and a good pair of reading glasses and a great deal of patience to be able to find your way, while mr big foot is charging down the trail after you! lol

Added more details to map

Big Frank 04-21-2019 10:04 PM

It's a good thing you added all the Ps. How else would you know where you're supposed to P?

4-tracker 04-22-2019 06:09 AM

Yeah, and I'm making the roads much larger to see too, who makes these stupid maps anyways! They make it so hard to read almost everything, what good are they unless you just happen to have a magnifying glass in your pocket at all times, for whenever you happen to look at a map! lol I had to do this same thing for Mio, St Helen, Rose City maps. I keep riding in many more places I might have the entire mapping system redone! lol

YamahaMoto 04-22-2019 08:05 AM

lol i feel ya. The maps are very difficult to read but we still use them anyway

Big Frank 04-22-2019 11:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sometimes I see trail maps like this one on the trail behind clear plastic, attached to a board on a post. It doesn't take long for the sun to start making them fade and eventually everything red disappears. And the red parts are all the trails and routes, so when it's marked "You Are Here" it shows what part of the woods you're in but not where the trail is or which way to go.

4-tracker 04-23-2019 03:38 AM

I think they do their best to confuse us, but we pay extra now through our trail permits that are supposed to go for trail improvements, like directional trail markers, yet very little has been done in the 40 yrs of my riding. I think what the state is trying to do is make us beg for these improvements, so they can up the cost for permits even higher!

4-tracker 04-23-2019 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it finally turned upright lol