Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got back from great 5 days up north w/ my buddy/friend/neighbor and new found friends from Indiana, all riding 4x4's and me on my little Honda quad (as they laughed along w/ me) in comparison, even though I kept up pretty good, but under great duress/suffering with the rough whooped out trails and long rides!! at St Helen MI. area! After returning and after seeing how many of my friends are riding larger 4x4 quads and sxs, (convened me to invest in a bigger quad that could handle longer trips on a tank full, on rougher trails, proven to hold up under very rigorous terrain, also giving a much more comfortable ride, especially over them rough sharp whoops which are even worse, even on sandy trails) so I bought a new 4x4 King Quad 750 on sale for $5,999, Black. Plus adding a few extras, new plow, wench, power steering for $1,200. Ready for winter! lol Hoping to get in a few more trips up north while the season is still above freezing, during day rides to test her out and also get in a few hundred miles for break in procedure at the same time!. I'm still keeping my little Honda trx450r quad, still the fastest quad on the planet, bar none! Dare you to take me on!! Bring it on!! Come on with your bad self!! lol Look out northern Michigan! here I come!! :scooter:
Ride safe! steve

Old 10-02-2018, 01:12 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the new quad. I've never regretted my decision to get an IRS 4x4 for my first ATV. The Trailblazer I got later was fun but not powerful enough, and not suited for all day rides. I was tired of it after a year.

Every time I checked the weather it looked like about a 50:50 chance of rain every day of the last couple of weekends. I'm not interested in finding out if my new jacket really is waterproof, so I stayed home. And it's getting too cold at night for me to be comfortable in my tent. I may make another trip up north but that's probably it until next year. If it quits raining long enough I have a lot of yard work to do anyway.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

Just returned last weekend with a friend, from the Toledo Ohio area, where we trail rode at the St Helen, Rose City, West Branch triangle area, for 3 days, covering 170 miles, with the fall colors waiting for our arrival, to burst into the most brilliant color patterns, and falling all over us and painting a blanket of these same colors over every hill we came to. The days got better, weather wise, from very cool in the morning but by mid day, perfect riding conditions, w/ no rain and lots of sun! Rode back to some great challenging hill climbs just s of ski run, nw of West Branch, which is also some of the most beautiful scenic riding in the state! Also considered the Rose City Oil Field Hills. You can visibly see the long hilly ridge clearly from a distance, behind West Branch, driving n on 75, just after their rest area, and just before the first exit into town. Then after leaving West Branch heading n, your climbing up the side of the oil field hills, where you'll be getting a better sense of the incline/elevation it has! Also got to try out the new Suzuki KQ 750 (0 miles on odometer when we got there) I put on over 100 miles before any extreme hill climbing was done, sorta/kinda lol Hard not to while traveling across areas around there, where you need low gear to get up/down most trails! My buddy too, with his sxs also did well being 56'' wide, managed to squeeze through some pretty seemingly impossible, made for dirt bike/atv trails, and climbed as well, on every hill we came to! Those hill were by far the best part of the trip and warmest, w/ most sun, most color for our last day there! Perfect weekend!! We also grab a great tasting burger just off the trail, at Clear lk bar/lounge lol. You can ride your atv into town. Terrific food, always crowded, right in the heart of hundreds of miles of hilly trails, all around there! This might have been the last trip of the season, but you never know, where Michigan can suddenly drop a good weather couple of days on us up there, any time in Nov. Ain't over till the deep snow, and deep freeze sets in! Come on give us one last go of it lol One more last ride....

Last edited by 4-tracker; 10-20-2018 at 03:40 AM. Reason: add a few words
Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Good weather and beautiful fall colors. What a great combination.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Hoping for

just one more trip, weather permitting! Its 54 up north Mi. and sunny right now, so there might be a few days left coming up before its too cold for any serious riding out on an open atv, but I'll never say never lol Even if there's no chance this season for another trip I'm still looking forward to using the new plow bought with the King Quad for my property and helping neighbors with snow removal. I ordered and installed handlebar heated mitts that will help while out on colder days and waiting on shipment of more aggressive/wider tires to hopefully help with the plowing heavy snow and for next season's sand/mud/hilly trails.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:37 AM
THE BERMINATOR

WeatherBug says it supposed to get down to 30 degrees Friday night and 29 degrees Saturday night at Mio. That's too darn cold for me. One of my friends has always used handlebar mitts in the winter, but no heated ones that I know of. He never wears gloves when he rides at any time of year. I guess his hands are leathery enough he doesn't need them.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

No longer camping out but what a great year it was! New KQ Suzuki finished break in just before colder weather, with heated grips installed and new tires!! Come on winter SNOW! It just started snowing here in SE MI. and coming down up north daily! Trails Inn motel in St Helen right down town and right on trail head available for winter trips, even if just to get away for short rides and enjoying establishments there in town on quads! Any body ready? Might be too late this year, but I'm starting now to meet someone with the same enthusiasm to trail ride Michigan next spring/summer. get with me and lets plan trips there, thanks Steve

Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 AM
THE BERMINATOR

Mine is at the dealership getting HD front springs put on it. I'll be ready for snow when I get it back. The guy looking them up said EPI had 120# and 125# springs for the same price. I told him to order the 125#. I just looked online and EPI says the 120# springs are 25% heavier than stock, and I don't even see 125# listed. They should stop my ATV from squatting when I raise the plow, and will be an improvement on the trails. As soon I ordered my winch I should have gotten the HD springs too, but I didn't know I would go this long without it being stolen and didn't want to put the extra money into it. 10 years later the springs have to be even weaker.

https://epiperformance.com/suspensio...duty-we320010/

Old 11-16-2018, 05:29 AM
Pro Rider

I'm concerned with the heavy weight of this new plow, that I haven't used before, and haven't even attached yet, since buying quad and plow just a few mo's ago, along with the aggressive tire pattern and heavy vehicle weight, that my graveled driveway will be churned up, especially if the ground is still warm, not frozen and moist causing me to plow gravel mixed with snow, that i'll be then pushing out over onto the grassy yard (the only place I have to pile the snow) that I probably won't notice until next spring, then scratching my head wondering what it will take to get the pea sized gravel back on the driveway again lol They do sell rubber blades to add to the bottom of the plow blade to help slide/wipe over gravel vs digging, hopefully pushing/packing the gravel back down after tire ruts made and only pushing gravel free white stuff! Has anyone ever tried the rubber wiper blade over gravel, and the results?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:14 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I can't help you there. I have concrete. Behind that I have some 12"x12" patio blocks that my trailer is parked on behind my truck. I'll have to move the trailer in front of the shed because I plow all the way up the driveway to the fence at the back of the yard. I noticed one of the patio blocks teeter-tottering this year and never fixed it. Now I'm wondering if the plow will catch it and break it or push it over on the grass. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Quick Reply: N. Michigan: St Helen, Mio, Rose City, West Brabch