ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   Michigan or Wisconsin? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/41687-michigan-wisconsin.html)

bukhunter 06-18-2001 01:45 PM

Hello fellow atvers,
I am looking for a place to ride that will have the following:
-Some mud.
-If there is a place that would allow you to cross a stream?
-Some place scenic.
-Some place not so flat.
-Maybe some hills
I would like to go to Michigan or Wisconsin.
I have been to cheese county in sw wisconsin a few times so may wife could get some experience, but we are looking for something more advanced.
I know its probably hard to find one place with all these features but I would like to find something exciting.
If someone has a good spot to go, please let me know.
Be Safe!
Thanks

grizzlytim 06-18-2001 10:59 PM

I to have been to the cheese county trail and was not to impressed with it. There are many places in Wisconsin to ride that are much better. Park Falls, Clark County, Oconto County (Dusty trails), Black River Falls (Jacksin County) and Dunbar are just a few places for you to look into. Tim

http://www192.pair.com/mud3/wisconsi.../atvtrails.htm

ecorman1 06-18-2001 11:35 PM

Though you fellas in Wisconsin and Illinois, have a long ride to get to some of the best trails in Michigan, I think you might enjoy riding the trails at Atlanta, or Kalkaska, Michigan. There are other quality trails to ride also but these two are the finest to me. They lend a touch of eloquents to trail riding if you want to be in the woods, see animals, play in pits and depending on weather, mud... Just remember, you still have to have an ORV Sticker for Michigan, on the trails ($16.25). If you decide to go to Atlanta, check out Clear Lake State Park, on M-33. You will still have to trailer to the trailhead but you are nearby.
Any of the motels can accommodate you at Kalkaska. Many of them are right at the trailhead and if you're careful, you can find some that allow you to leave straight from the motel to one of the trails. Make sure they're leagally next to the trail so you don't have to trailer each day, to ride. Sounds like a fun time to me!
Chuck

bukhunter 06-19-2001 01:01 PM

Hey Chuck,
Thanks for the info. If you have a wisconsin sticker, do you have to get an orv sticker for michigan.
Thanks,
Keith

Thor 06-19-2001 02:04 PM

Bayfield County and Iron County, Wisconsin sound exactly like what you are looking for. Both counties will send you information and have intenet sites.

Park Falls, Wisc. is also okay but not as picturesque. The Idle Hour Resort is scenic and is an absolute riot. They also have a website.

Thor 06-19-2001 02:09 PM

Oh, at this time do not go to Wisconsin if you have a Sportsman 500 or your quad weighs over 650 lbs. Wisconsin has a few regulatory problems that need to be worked out. Wisconsin does however honor Minnesota registrations unlike those trail stickers from Michigan.

The Wolverines are taking it in the shorts on this one for the time being.

I do not know if Illinois or Indiana registrations are honored by Wisconsin.

bukhunter 06-19-2001 04:22 PM

Hey Thor,
Thanks for the info.
I think I will try to head up there.
I was thinking hurley wisconsin????
Is there a nice hotel/motel you recommend??
Thanks,
Keith

ecorman1 06-19-2001 05:05 PM

Yeah, but it's unfortunate that any of us have to purchase the permits, Thor. The trails are maintained because of the permits, so it should not be a concern. The small fee of $16.25 gets me and you on any of the trails here. If I went to Wisconsin, to fish or hunt, would I be required to purchase a Wisconsin, permit? You don't have to answer that, I'm just trying to get the point across, that all our State Governments, charge the general public fees. You live in a particular State and pay to use the resources but when I come there, from another State, to use those same resources, I shouldn't have to pay? And you base that on the fact that I paid to fish and hunt in Michigan, so I should be able to go anywhere, right? I think you may be getting the idea by now...
Chuck

flipper 06-19-2001 07:14 PM

I stay at the Days Inn in Hurley, people there are great and the riding is the best in Wisconsin. I've been on every ATV trail in Wisconsin and by far Hurley is the best. Second best is Antigo The Parrish Highlands trail. Oh by the way in Hurley you can just take off from the motel and ride. I get up there about 3 times a year, so any question let me know.
Steve
98 Grizzly

dusty 06-19-2001 08:34 PM

Hey Steve,

I was just curious to know, by all the conflicting info, if your going to register or Jolly Rodger.
I know when we went to the Ralley, in Hurley last year. We had on good authority, Wisconsin honored Michigan trail permits. However, we did here of folks getting harrased by the local DNR. This year it sounds like a different story. I don't think any of the folks I rode with, that were there this year, got any tickets. They're all like a snake in the grass anyways.

So when do you plan on going? My 40 is in by Thursday, Friday is my vacation day. Although, it rarely works that way. I'd take a Friday, and Monday to ride the trails though. Let me know if you've got room for another rider, and maybe we can work something out.

Brian