Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Cheyenne, WY

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 12:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go west on Happy Jack Road out of Cheyenne, you quickly hit open range area. Does anyone know if it is legal to ride the open range areas of Wyoming in this area if the area is not fenced off?

Old 11-02-2000, 08:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good Question. I think I can give you an answer. generally no, you cant just unload and ride, but the cops around here are pretty lenient and if your not riding "where the buffalo roam" you are ok. A few options for you though is to keep going a few miles up Happy Jack road and take a left to Vedawoo recreaton area (pronounced VedaVoo)you have some nice scenic riding areas. YOu can also go to Medicine Bow National Park and do some riding, although I just heard that they are restricting the riding there. If you have any more questions, let me know. When Are you coming out? We can hook up sometime to ride. I know of a few more places to ride around here as well..

RoostKing...

Old 11-02-2000, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. I've been in both of the areas you mentioned but not with ATV's, when we lived in Cheyenne a few years ago. Do I have to stay on the trails in Vedawoo? What kind of restrictions did you hear about with Medicine Bow?

Actually, I was kind of hoping to go just north of town, find a road that goes west off I25, stay on it until I hit open range, unload the ATV's and drive the open range areas, especially closer to the hills west and northwest of Cheyenne.

What areas do you recommend near Cheyenne/Fort Collins/Laramie?

I probably won't get out there until Spring.

Why does your profile say Cheyenne, AR?

Old 02-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Cheyenne, WY

As far as riding open range, most of it is owned by someone. Vedavoo is National forest so, the rules governing national forest applies. I haven't found many rangers that get too upset about riding off the trails unless you are tearing up the ground and being an annoyance. There are a LOT of tree/bunny huggers around here though. I like to do as much as I can to tick them off as long as I ain't breakin' the law. Then there ain't nuthin' they can do 'sept talk bad about us. Sticks and stones you know. Have Fun and GIT-R-DONE do you know of any clubs that do rides around here or maybe up farther in the snowies??????