Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

What trailer do you use to get where your going

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were going to get an eclosed trailer, what size would you get?

I have looked at
7x14
7x16
8x16
8x20

I think I'm going to go with an 8x20. My thoughts are this:
Pros:
I can carry 5 quads easily
Plenty of room to move around in it
With AC and a Generator (which I would get) it'd be plenty big to sleep several people
Cons:
More weight to pull around (I have a f-150 4x4 w/ 5.4l engine so I'm not really worried about this)
The trailer is phyiscally big, I might have problems getting it in and out of places.

Anyone want to throw in $.02 here? PLEASE!

Thanks
Brad

Old 02-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the 8x20 may be a little much for your truck, at least on extended highway trips. An enclosed trailer like that has a lot of wind resistance that comes into play a lot more than just weight alone. A buddy of mine has an enclosed 7x14 that he pulls with a '98 2x4 F-150 with the 4.6 and you have to keep it out of OD on the auto and run around 60-65 on the highway if you want any kind of gas mileage. It does fine around town, its just not a fun ride on the highway.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

The pulling quality of a 4.6l versus 5.4l engine are night and day. I owned a 4.6l, it was a turd for pulling compared to the 5.4.

I have pulled 5 quads, and a 2000 pound trailer before, so that's over 4k pounds and could run 85 in overdrive (did it for over 500 miles to silver lake non stop) without a problem.

I agree with you that wind resistance might have some play on this, but I'm sure my truck will do it all day long.

If for some reason I don't have a big enough truck, my lease is up at the end of this year and I'll upgrade to a f250 v10, but I doubt I'll need to.

I worry more about getting that big of a trailer into tight riding spots..

Old 02-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

I will be hauling 4 atv's so I bought a 18' total length v-nose drive on drive off. 14' sides and 4' v-nose. Awesome trailer. You can see his auctions at the link on the bottom.
I found this guy on ebay that listed them there after sept 11th because all his dealers were cancelling orders. So he decided to retail them himself but at DEALER COST! He is located in Elkhart In. You would be buying them Factory direct. You dont need to actually bid on them just give Dennis a call.
I paid $3350.00 for mine WITH surge brakes! It would retail for at least $5500.00
Good Luck

Text

Old 02-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'm looking at a pace american 8x20 that starts at $4000 w/ tandem axle and electric brakes.

Total up all the options I want, add another $5000 or so.

What options?
1 foot extra height (brings the inside to almost 7 feet, wooohoo at 6'7&quot I can walk around)
stone guard
rear ramp instead of doors
32 inch side door
flush lock for door
roof vent
a/c prep
40 feet of floor etrack (enbedded in the floor)
10 feet of wall etrack
5 inside 110v outlets
1 switch 110v
1 12v light
1 12v switch
Generator Compartment
Fuel Compartment
Spare Tire
Roof 13,500 btu ac w/ heater strip
5kvw generac genset

I really want the generator w/ ac and heater, that way I can sleep comfortably in this thing year round. I know they are expensive but I think in the long run it will really be worth it.

I'm going to lose some space on the floor up front for the generator and fuel comparments, but I don't want to haul a generator in and out when I need power, plus RV gensets are a lot more quiet.

$9k might seem steep, but I can basically live in this thing, I'll have power for tools, 110v for lights, ac, heat, etc.

I'm more worried about what size to get.. and I can't decide.

Brad

Old 02-20-2002, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

lol! You need a motorhome!!!!!!!! Just get a good winch and load them on top! BTW I also checked out your pictures. Looks like you have a good time when you and your buddies go out. Glad I had a t1 line to check them out. I live in Toledo so I know how nice Wayne can be. I just wish it wasnt so far away!

Old 02-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at motorhomes!! LOL

I also looked at toy haulers, but by the time you add in a genset you're talking 15 to 22 grand.

Also, how in the hell do you keep something that nice clean?? So I'm off the motorhome/toyhauler idea.. I want to be able to spray down the inside with water!

Ya.. we have time.. and wayne is a blast.. I wish I was closer.. but 2.5 hours isn't that bad.

Brad

Old 02-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Scope Creep – the phenomenon of starting with a scaled plan that increases disproportionately because you began not knowing what you didn’t know plus the erroneous belief that “it” was all you would ever really need.

I have my home-made snowmobile trailer and my 2x4 half-ton, it’s all I need for my wheeler.
Two quads are better – the wife or friend can come along. ($3600)
A enclosed trailer is better – the bikes won’t get all full of mud and slush and we can store them in the trailer. ($5400)
A third quad and one of the kids can ride that. Theres room in the trailer. ($2000)
A new ¾ ton truck will pull the 18 foot enclosed trailer with the 3 bikes much better. ($26,000)
The $19,900 24 foot Tailgator toy hauler is all we will ever need and we wont have to take both the ½ ton and ¾ ton trucks to pull the camper and the wheelers.
A 18 foot tandem axle flat bed trailer ($1400) will be easier to drag through the mountains then the Tailgator. – And besides, I did sell the snowmobile trailer for $300.
A topper for the truck and we don’t have to put the stinky gas cans in the nice trailer. ($1400)
A $39,970 F350 turbo diesel 4x4 crew cab will tow the toy hauler much better than the ¾ ton and get better than the 6 miles per gallon of the ¾ ton and we can all ride together through the mountains.
Old topper doesn’t fit - $1600
The $600 wire feed welder will be needed to make the tail-gate ramp on the flat bed.
We really should have a generator on the Tailgator. ($600)
$580 and we now have a pressure washer on the Tailgator so we can clean spotlessly the bikes before they go into “the wifes” trailer…..

Choose carefully..... Pics - not for slow connections

Old 02-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

LMAO..

repeat after me!!

No Wife Great Life
No Wife Great Life
No Wife Great Life

I feel your pain.. I have a 1/2 ton f150 4x4, but it does have the 8000 GVW package, the tow package, and the biggest engine I could get (5.4l v8) w/ 3.73 towing gears. I *hope* my truck is enough for a 20 foot enclosed trailer that weighs in empty at 2700 pounds. With MY toys I should be at about 4k pounds (both quads etc), fully loaded never over 5200 pounds.

If my truck isn't enough my lease is up at the end of the year and I'll get the f250 V10..

That being said, the tailgators are really nice, but they are so nice new and shiny I don't think I could pull a quad in to one...

So I'm back to just a plain ole wood/fiberglass 20' enclosed trailer, throw down an airmatress and I can sleep all weekend. AC and heat included, what a deal. When I get home take a hose to it all and clean it out.. I'm liking this idea so far...

and remember.. I live by
No Wife Great Life [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

But thanks for the laugh!
Brad

PS.. you have a great choice in trucks.. I am really thinking about a crew cab f-250 with a v10 for my next one.. I don't want to do diesel, the v-10 is $4500 less.. but I really like the f250/f350 crew cabs..

Old 02-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I had the oppertunity to bring both the V10 and the diesel home and hook each up to the Tailgator. The performance was like day and night. Over a 15 mile ride I averaged 4.7mpg in the V10 and could not get to 70mph. The power stroke gets about 12mpg with the tailgator fully loaded (like 9000 lbs), does 70 in OD - up freeway type inclines.

Check out the trailers on ebay - search "atv trailer" there are some in Minnesota that are converted utility trailers - half camper half what your looking for. If I wasn't married with children I'd be all over those.

Quick Reply: What trailer do you use to get where your going