Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Mena-MemorialDay Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From MP go to New Boston and head north on Hwy 8.I think tat is the number. It is the main road in New Moston.I believe it is at the only overpass in town. Turn north and follow it all the way to mena. When we ride we always take fuel with us even though I have never used it I just like to have it with us. To get gas you have to go all the way back to Mena so I usually carry a good bit the first trip. Not that far just a hassle of going back to town. We pack a small lunch and beverages also and tell everyone to pack something to swim in if they like that. Crystal clear creeks and a big lake called blue lake to swim in. Ice cold also. There will be a bunch of water crossings and no mud. Goggles and and bandana are also a good idea for the dust cause there will be lots of traffic. I always wish for rain at night to settle the dust. The last time we were there they were righting tickets for getting off the trails so be aware of that. If you like to pack a firearm the Ranger confiscated a guys rifle last time but he had it strapped to his back which I did not like cause there are kids and campers everywhere so he got what he deserved. Just be prepared to have a good time.

Ronnie

Old 04-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

Forgot that from Mp to Mena should be no more than 3 hrs

Old 04-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

Hey snoop,
I'm goin along with redneck to mena that weekend. I'll be rideing the raptor and i have the big gun race exhaust on it. My question.... is there a decible limit that i could go by so i'll be sure that i'll be able to leave it on there when we go ? I'm gonna take my stock exhuast with me just incase.

Old 04-29-2002, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Couple of things from reading the posts made this weekend.

-no mud tires...it was said before...I'll say it again
-goggles....if its dry you cant ride without them
-exhaust...didnt see anything posted and no one was there to check. We had a few with us that I didnt even want to ride behind they were so loud.
-quads....not sure what yall are planning to bring but its a sport quad place. There are HUNDREDS of jumps (whoops) that you can not avoid. The first 100 were fun....the last 400 stank for use utility folks.
-first aid....bring a kit and have it with you

Old 04-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

I will agree 100% on the tire and goggle deal. A good bandana helps also. I have never heard of a decibal limit up there so I would not worry unless you just want to go stealth. We can avoid some of the whoops unless they have added them on some trails. Since there will be women and kids I am sure most people will want to stay on the easy stuff. We can always have a all guy ride and leave the women behind. Kids will be hardcore and want to go though.

Txmud, What are the trails like in the wolf pen area only. Some people say you have to go over the mountain to keep riding in the west part of it. By looking at the map they closed part of the main trail. What about deliverance pig farm? I am sure them and Fay greeted everybody with open arms.

If anybody has any more questions feel free to ask.

Ronnie

Old 04-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Snoppy. Me and some buddies are heading up this Fri.5-03-02. I currently ride an 02 XR250R and my question is : Are there many dirtbikes along the trails? I am a fairly skilled rider but I just thought I would ask someone who had been there. Are the creek crossings very deep? Where are the nearest showers? Can you ride on any of the gravel forrest roads that are not marked with a sign? Thanks in advance[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

TXRedneck, They're right. I go to MP and then up through Texarkana, and get on (my atlas is old, so im going with these roads) HWY 41, and go to DeQueen. From there head on up to Hatton, and into Mena. Be careful, those are some steep banked roads!

Take your goggles!

Old 04-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

You can ride on the forrest road themselves and there are some good cycle trails. Just get a map at the traihead and when you get tired of wolf pen get on the dirt roads and let her rip. If you see a forrest ranger he has maps of places there to ride other than wolf pen. Ask someone to show you blue lake for a good swim. I usually just jump in the nearest creek for a bath. The water looks cleaner than some water I have seen coming out of a faucet. Crystal clear and cold. Alberts Pike campground has showers but you cannot ride in the campground. If you are camping the creek is the way to go. You won't find any water crossings that your bike won't go through.Let me know if you are camping and where and I will try to stear you in the right direction.

Ronnie

Old 04-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply Snoppy. I have ridden at Lake Gresson but I have never been to Wolf Pen. We are still getting all of our plans together but we should be leaving out no later than noon on Fri. I am not sure about the camping situation. We will bring tents and as it stands right now we are leaving the wifes' at home (yeeee haww!!!) We will be driving a red 00 GMC 2500 extended cab and a forrest green crew cab silverado HD. Hopefully we can all hook up.

Old 04-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you have to cross hawks peak to ride the other side. We saw kids on 2wd quads go up the hill...it wasnt bad at all.

We didnt make it to Butch and Faye's. Way too many break downs and accidents.

You can not avoid 99% of the whoops....there are a ton.

All in all, I think there is better riding from the Albert Pike area. They have some killer hills there if you go west from camp. I can give people GPS maps and waypoints if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Mena-MemorialDay Weekend