Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATTN: WASHINGTON STATE RIDERS WALKER VALLEY UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: WASHINGTON STATE RIDERS WALKER VALLEY UPDATE

According to www.nmaoffroad.org this is what they had to say about WALKER VALLEY "Walker Valley Reopening! - top

12/23/2002 - On Saturday, December 28, the Walker Valley ORV area officially reopens! Instead of the original winter closure imposition from November 1 to April 1, you will be able to recreate with your family on about half of the existing trail system!

You must do it right though! Obey the instructions and signs regarding which trails are open to which types of use (bike, quad, 4WD, see the attached flyer). You must inform all of your friends, anyone you know who is headed up there, indeed, anyone you see at Walker Valley, that it is imperative that they comply! Various user groups are also providing volunteers over the first few weekends of this reopening, to help with education, enforcement, and monitoring of trail conditions.

This reopening happened because of you! Your letters, emails and phone calls to Commissioner Doug Sutherland made him realize that he needed to get involved, to improve regional management attitudes, to find a way for all parties and requirements to be satisfied.

This reopening also happened because of Skagit M/C, the Northwest Motorcycle Association, the Northwest Quadriders Association, and the Timber Tamers 4WD Club. Activists in each organization have worked hundreds of hours just on this reopening; attending meetings, collecting letters and petitions, performing back-breaking work to close specific trails and make needed improvements to the trails to be re-opened, and posting signs (which the user organizations also donated). These same people will be working just as hard on the education, enforcement, and monitoring. Take a moment to thank the volunteers you will see in the parking lot and on the trail for what they have done for you!

Tread lightly! Ensure your bike is quiet! Ride only on the trails that are open to you! Ride like you would have to go back and repair any trail damage you cause yourself! The DNR's goal is year-round operation at Walker Valley, and this reopening is indeed a test. Everyone believes that intelligent, active resource management, with the right attitude out of the land managers and the users, combined with plenty of volunteer support, can make this work for all! Help prove that true!

This is an incredible accomplishment, perhaps one nobody expected would really be possible. It shows that a strong grassroots response, dedicated leadership, a willingness to find common ground, and a desire to volunteer time and effort to make things happen, can result in win-win outcomes. We have achieved much with this, but it must only be the start of a new era for motorized recreation on state lands in Washington. We need to press to close the widening gap between demand and opportunity for this fantastic form of family recreation. For example, a next step is to see Walker Valley managed so that there are always 36 miles of trail open, regardless of seasonal or logging operation impacts on specific trails. We can make it happen!

Tory Briggs
NMA President

OFFICIAL NOTICE:

Walker Valley
Limited Re-Opening

Begins Saturday December 28, 2002

On Saturday December 28, 2002 Walker Valley will have a limited re-opening of ORV trails for the winter months. The trail system was closed to all ORV use on November 1, 2002. Re-opening was originally scheduled for April 1, 2003. Through cooperative efforts of several ORV user groups and the Department of Natural Resources, a limited number of trails will be returned to ORV use early. About half of the trails will remain closed to either protect resources or allow for on-going logging activities. Many of the trails closed for resource protection will be opened for ORV use on April 1, 2003.

Your cooperation in utilizing only those trails that are posted open for the winter is imperative. Trails open to motorcycles are indicated by yellow markers on the route, those open to quads have orange markers and those open to 4WDs have blue markers. In order to help guarantee the continuance of this early re-opening, please respect all "Trail Closed" signs and do not ride trails not marked for your vehicle type.

Northwest Motorcycle Association, Northwest Quad Association, Skagit Motorcycle Club, Timber Tamers 4WD Club, Washington State Department of Natural Resources" I thouhgt i would let you all know just in case you haven't heard yet i haven't rode Walker Valley in about 15 years so any input on the riding htere would be much appreciated i don't even remember what it is like Thanks Tony

Old 01-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: WASHINGTON STATE RIDERS WALKER VALLEY UPDATE

I talked to one of the people that i ride with and his room mate went riding there last weekend. He said that is was horrible because the trails were beat up from them logging up there and there was hardly any trails that were open. They took away alot of trails. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] i will have to go up there for myself and see how bad it is.