Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Looking for thoughts on Rhino issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for thoughts on Rhino issue.

Hey all,

Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on my Rhino issue. I have a 2009 Rhino 660 that is having what seems like a fuel issue. It will start and idle perfectly. I can accelerate in neutral and not have any issues. However as soon as I take off it will die after approximately 30 seconds of riding. If I try to immediately restart the engine it will not start. Once I wait maybe 20 seconds it starts perfectly again. This makes me "think" it's something with the float where it uses all the fuel in the float bowl and can't refill fast enough. I've done everything I can think of and the issue is persisting. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? For reference, here are the different things I've tried.

New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Filter
Checked and replaced all hoses.
Adjusted Valve Clearance.
New Spark Plug
New Air Filter
New Gas
Rebuilt Carb (All new jets, gaskets etc)
Adjusted the float several times.
Cleaned all old jets and put back in as well because new jets didn't work.
Changed Oil

I'm at a loss now. What else could I be missing? Is there anything else that would cause this other than a fuel issue? Thanks so much for any advice you guys can give.

Thanks!
Mav_Stl

Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did Rhino run like this when got it? History? been in water?Been sitting? any mods?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Here in USA 2007 was last year for rhino 660?Here 2009 was 700 efi

Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Papa Hogg Scoot,

So we've had it new since 2010 (2009 model in 2010) and while it has had some issues it was running fine this year. It ran great in April then sat from April till August. This is a farm UTV so it usually only runs a few times during the summer then a lot during the winter months. Anyway, in August we went to start it and it wouldn't start at all so decided to bring it home and do some work on it. It has never been in water and no mods at all. Straight factory equipment. The first thing I found was a vacuum leak where one of the hoses was cracked and the three way plastic diverter was brittle. I replaced both of these and it started fine but was still running poorly. So I decided to start cleaning and replacing everything I could think of. That's where I am today where it will start and idle fine and even run fine for a few seconds then cut out and die.

Also, you are correct on the years. I should have said this isn't a "true" Rhino. It's actually a Chinese off brand Rhino which is a Hisun Big Muddy 700. However, everything I've researched it's a direct copy of the Rhino but a few years behind. So this UTV would be equivalent to the 2007 Rhino 660 even though it is a 2009 700. All the parts I've replaced thus far have been Rhino parts. Just to double check, I'm going to clean the carb again but unless I missed something the first time I'm not sure this will have any impact. Thanks for any additional thoughts you have!

Thanks!
Mav_Stl

Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried running with fuel cap loose or off? tank vent ok? Do have an remote tank to run utv off of to bypass tank and fuel pump just to test run off of gravity flow?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Does your have fuel tank setup like this one in photo? Photo number 19 check to see if line is broke off or split will have to remove the few screw in plastic joint then lightly remove from tank to check condition if broke off or split it could cause fuel delivery problems.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Papa Hogg Scoot,

I had the opportunity to work on the bike this weekend and think I have it close now. That is our exact gas tank and I did check all the hoses and cap and all is good there. However, I pulled the carb again and this time used compressed air to clear all the passages instead of just using carb cleaner which is what I did the first time. It must have cleared something small that I didn't see because it is running quite a bit better. It has still died a couple of times but not every 20-30 seconds like it was before. I also noticed a small bend in the tip of the needle and got that bent back. I wonder if that was possibly keeping the needle from lifting all the way out of the jet needle? I may switch back to the new one I got with the kit however it was a bit larger than the factory one. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks,
Mav_Stl