ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Top Speed (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/100484-top-speed.html)

bansheeguru 05-20-2003 02:07 PM

Top Speed

I got 82 MPH out of my shee with stock gearing and stock size tire. measured with radar gun. Just pipes and airfilter. Have it on video.

WyoDuner 05-20-2003 03:00 PM

Top Speed

I got the same thing with pipes and filter and stock gearing - 82 MPH on GPS. I could only pull 84 MPH with a 15 tooth contersprocket.

bansheeguru 05-21-2003 12:19 AM

Top Speed

It feels like it would pull more gear then that. Hey Wyoduner did you sell a proflow kit on e-bay??
Also how do you like you cool head?? I was thinking of just cutting the stock head .040" and recutting the squish but I might just buy a cool head..

raptor8 05-21-2003 06:52 AM

Top Speed

why?
I rarely have the chance to go wide open where i ride, and not for long at best.
It is by no means the measure of a quad.
I can gear an Eton 50 to go 150 mph on the salt flats if you really want to. see what i mean?

WyoDuner 05-21-2003 10:31 AM

Top Speed

Originally posted by: bansheeguru
It feels like it would pull more gear then that. Hey Wyoduner did you sell a proflow kit on e-bay??
Also how do you like you cool head?? I was thinking of just cutting the stock head .040" and recutting the squish but I might just buy a cool head..
Nope, not me selling on ebay. You can cut your stock head and save some bucks or get a cool head. Personally, I like the Noss head - it uses the stock studs and uses the cool head domes. Don't buy a cool head for cooling - it's benefit is being able to change domes.

I like the cool head but if I were buying now I would get the Noss head.

WyoDuner 05-21-2003 10:33 AM

Top Speed

Originally posted by: raptor8
why?

...I can gear an Eton 50 to go 150 mph on the salt flats if you really want to. see what i mean?
No you can't. Friction and wind resistance will limit you. The faster you go the faster the resistance increases - twice the speed - 4 times the wind resistance.

PUSHINTHELIMIT 05-21-2003 11:32 AM

Top Speed

I passed a truck going 85 with my ds650, but this is all around good gearing also. NOT HIGH gearing, trail and go gearing. just 1 tooth bigger front sprocket because of added mods I needed a little taller gearing, also stock the gearing is too low for me, I have more USABLE power with 1 tooth taller front.

garyc660R 05-21-2003 05:25 PM

Top Speed

Mine runs 89 beside interstate traffic.....while drafting, I can run 94....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

dragracer789 05-21-2003 05:39 PM

Top Speed

i could also get a eton 50 to go 150mph it would just take all day to get there. i could gear a 250r to go 250mph but would take a while to get there. what im sayin is it dosent matter how fast your top speed is. but how fast u can get there.

I bet it takes a stock raptor or ds about 5 miles to get to 85

garyc660R 05-21-2003 05:46 PM

Top Speed

Originally posted by: dragracer789
i could also get a eton 50 to go 150mph it would just take all day to get there. i could gear a 250r to go 250mph but would take a while to get there. what im sayin is it dosent matter how fast your top speed is. but how fast u can get there.I bet it takes a stock raptor or ds about 5 miles to get to 85
I can't believe some of you guys think you can gear your quad too go as fast as you want. If you don't have enough power too "pull" the gearing, you can actually go slower.