Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha YFM 225 Moto-4 History and Help....

Old 05-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha YFM 225 Moto-4 History and Help....

I just bought a 1986 YFM225 Moto-4 that has been sitting for an estimated 9 to10 years in a guy’s garage. I gave him $500.00 for it.

It looks almost brand new. Not a scratch or blemish (Except for some mouse droppings, gross). It will not start. The seller said had a carburetor problem. I put some fresh gas in it and shot some starting fluid in her and nothing. It won’t hit at all. It’s getting good spark (Lit me up) Any suggestions? Ideas?

Also, was this a predecessor to the Warrior, Grizzly or ? I guess it qualifies as a utility quad. I see YFM is still used today. What does that stand for if anything?

Sean

Old 05-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

We had one just like that, in fact we just sold it a couple months ago and my aunt has one just like it too! We bought them in 1986 about when they came out for a farm machine and used it till the day we sold it! Those things are very reliable! I don't recall ONE problem with it EVER! I never had to work on it so I never learned about it to much so I can't help you with your carb problem. I just wanted to mention that they are great bikes even if they are really old. I'd say they are predecessors to the wolverine, 2WD sport utility w/ racks.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pretty much a predacessor to the Big Bear if anything. In 86 or 87, they had your 225 and the moto-4 YFM350 which looked almost identical. Also there was the 350 Big Bear and they all were very similar in looks. Just a bunch of utility quads. They upped the 225 to a 250 in 88 I think and still sold it up into the mid 90's. I think they dropped it shortly after the Timberwolf arrived.

Your carb may need a rebuild, and I would check out the fuel lines and tank to make sure they aren't full of crap. We sold ours probably 6-7 years ago. My grandpa has an 87 that still runs (barely). Poor thing has been massively abused, and has sat out in the rain for almost all of its life. Exhaust is almost rusted off, brakes don't work, plastic is dry rotted and the racks are all bent up, but by some act of god it still starts and runs.

For a quad that old, if yours still looks in good shape physically, then it will probably run just fine with a few easy fixers such as carb work.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Check the compression. I would hope you already changed the oil and put in a new plug. You will definately want to go through the carb. I also wouldnt be suprised if rats ate the air filter.

Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

last year my ucle kinda gave me his moto4 225 and it sat for 3 years and all we did was rebiuld the carb and it started right up. ok again with the reliability thing. this is prolly the most realiable quad ever made!!!!! i beat it down for a year and never had a problem with it. my friend has one just like mine that has been abused for 4 years now. i mean this thing has hit a tree goin 40mph and been rolled down into huge ditches. i can't believe it still runs. this one kid who didn't no how to drive it just put it in first gear and floored it. he drove it like that all around his entire neihborhood. wow this thing is tough.