Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450, guess the stock HP.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450, guess the stock HP.

Well said FourStrokeFan.

Let me rephrase, torque is for wheelies and launching, and horsepower is for racing..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, I haven't seen the latest TPS report, but if you could just put that in a memo, that would be great......
By the way, its power to weight ratio, that means power divided by weight, not the other way around. So we want to see bigger numbers here..... bigger is always better?
Assuming the Canadian torque results are correct, I agree with 34.1hp rwhp. Also, considering that the YFZ450 weighs 50lbs less than the Raptor & that 100lbs is approx equal to 10hp in automobile language, then the 450 would feel like 34.1 + 5= 39hp compared to a stock Raptor. Also, considering the lower center of gravity & better suspension on the new quad, I beleive the YFZ450 will change the world as we know it today.....
By definition, torque is the ability to do work & horsepower is the rate at which that work is performed.
It would be nice to see Honda build two new quads, a 450 atv to compete in the race market & a 650 atv to compete in the Raptor market.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chimmer
It would be nice to see...a 650 atv to compete in the Raptor market.
WTF is that supposed to mean??...

Bad choice of words or you've never raced a DS?

Old 06-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TyreSpinner

WTF is that supposed to mean??...

Bad choice of words or you've never raced a DS?
The Raptor and DS aren't exactly in the same niche. The DS is a full-sized big-bore. The Raptor, while obviously still a big-bore, is a mid-size machine. It also wasn't like he was slamming DS650s, he just wants to see Honda compete in those respective classes.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlaskaYFM
Originally posted by: TyreSpinnerWTF is that supposed to mean??...Bad choice of words or you've never raced a DS?
The Raptor and DS aren't exactly in the same niche. The DS is a full-sized big-bore. The Raptor, while obviously still a big-bore, is a mid-size machine. It also wasn't like he was slamming DS650s, he just wants to see Honda compete in those respective classes.
Okay, but only if you say so Alaska. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Easy there tyrespinner, you may get a flat tyre, tire, whatever....
After I reviewed your web page & discovered that you are 16 years young, I decided to edit this reply to protect your innocent eyes.
The DS650 is truly in a class of its own & I just forgot to sign up for that class, I was out riding my Raptor.
If you reread my first post carefully, you will notice a lot of sarcism, some of which is from a movie called "Office space". Check it out sometime when you get home from highschool -Don't jump to conclusions, just jump puddles!

Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Range Rover

The term horsepower was invented by the engineer James Watt.

The story goes that Watt was working with ponies lifting coal at a coal mine, and he wanted a way to talk about the power available from one of these animals. He found that, on average, a mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds of work in a minute. He then increased that number by 50 percent and pegged the measurement of horsepower at 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute. It is that ___arbitrary unit_____ of measure that has made its way down through the centuries and now appears on your car, your lawn mower, your chain saw and even in some cases your vacuum cleaner!

to convert torque to horsepower you simply multiply torque by rpm/5,252.

Horsepower is based of torque at any given rpm so you could almost say they're related[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

now wasn't that interesting?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TyreSpinner
Okay, but only if you say so Alaska. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol.
Now you're learning, kid... I DO say so!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Since we are talking about horses. . .

How the space shuttle was designed around a horse's behind...

Railroad tracks The U.S. standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That is an exceptionally odd number.

Why was that gauge used?

Because that's the way they built them in England, and the U.S. railroads were built by English expatriates.

Why did the English build them that way?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did "they" use that gauge then?

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

So why did the wagons have that particular odd spacing?

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?

The first long distance roads in Europe (and England) were built by Imperial Rome for their legions. The roads have been used ever since. And the ruts in the roads? The ruts in the roads, which everyone had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels, were first formed by Roman war chariots. Since the chariots were made for (or by) Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.

The U.S. standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches derives from the original specification for an Imperial Roman war chariot.

Specifications and bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification and wonder what horse's behind came up with it, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman war chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the back end of two war horses.

Thus we have the answer to the original question. Now the twist to the story...

When we see a space shuttle sitting on it's launching pad, there are two booster rockets attached to the side of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs preferred to make them fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory had to run through a tunnel in mountains.

The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track is about as wide as two horses' behinds. So, a major design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's behind and made permanent by some bureaucrats!

Don't you just love engineering?

Old 06-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the motor is definately de-tuned... they reduced the cc's right? to get it under 440?

I don't see them building a 439cc motor that pumps out more ponies than their 660 motor... then what would be the purpose of having a Raptor? it handles worse and is less powerful? they would shoot themselves in the foot

perhaps it has about the same rwhp as the Rappy... witht the lighter weight, that would make it slightly faster, and thus their claim of the best power-to-weight ratio.....

but I'm sure the little 439 will not respond as well to mods as the mighty 660.... we all know the 660 is REALLY choked up

Quick Reply: YFZ450, guess the stock HP.