Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bring 2nd Gear Up or 3rd Gear Down on Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring 2nd Gear Up or 3rd Gear Down on Raptor???

I've been riding the sandy trails in northern Wisconsin on my 2003 Raptor. I'm finding that I need a gear between 2nd and 3rd because I have to keep shifting up and down all the time. Is it better for me to bring 2nd gear up (higher top speed from smaller rear sprocket) or bring 3rd gear down? It's bone stock. I think I'm leaning towards dropping a couple teeth in the back so I can stay in 2nd gear most of the trails. opinions???

Also, does anyone know how many teeth I would have to change to make my new 2nd gear equal to my old 3rd gear speed? For example, if I can do 25mph in 2nd gear and 40mph in 3rd gear with a 40 tooth sprocket, what size sprocket would I need to be able to run 40mph in 2nd gear??? Numbers are for example purposes only. This way I can find out exactly where the mid way point is between 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks Guys!

Old 06-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well now.. thats one heck of a question!!

First of all, I don't know as I can tell you which way to go as far as up or down. If you go up, your first gear will be faster and if you go down, your first gear will be slower... obviously. Depends on what kinda terrain you ride in. I like to gear down because sand eats a lot of power and I don't really need the speed.

Second, you need to find out what the reduction ratio for each gear in your transmission. I don't have a clue what they are but what you're looking for is the final gear ratio, which is a combination of the transmission reduction and the final drive (sprocket) reduction. Use your math skills and a calculator to work out all of the possibilities. I haven't done this kinda thing so I can't tell you what numbers to divide by but I can guarantee that it won't be hard.

Let me know if this makes any sense!!

Old 06-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Range Rover

The easiest thing to do would be getting a 12 tooth front sprocket. It'll only cost you about 13 bucks after that you should be able to cruise in third.

Shane