Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

4-stroke wars vs 2-stroke wars

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 06:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-stroke wars vs 2-stroke wars

Duck Diaz, I know exaclty what you mean. I had just a piped banshee and my buddy bought an 01 Raptor. I wanted to give it a try thinking it was the shiz, but once I rode it for about 2 minutes, i wanted my banshee back. Unfortunatley my buddy took off, he didnt want the rappy back! True Story.

Yea, the 4 strokes may be that wave, and stock or close to stock just as fast, but they dont and wont have the 2 stroke hit that is so fun, especially on a Banshee!

Old 07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DB,
Good call, 7 mm stroke, but on stock cylinders. (Not my bike though!)

At any rate, my 420 banshee is a killer dune/trail machine. the stroke gives it some REAL torque, so its much faster than when I was just ported, but way easier to ride. I can stay in 4th in the dunes and not have to shift at all, itll build revs from low rpm to high rpm. So i have the best of both worlds, a bike that I can take in the trail and have fun, and a bike thats gonna take your Awesome trail/mx bike and make it dissapear in a cloud of ROOST( if my wall of sand doesnt fly over you, instead of into you LOL). So id say the 2 stroke is the better all around motor, more versatile if you will.

RoostKing...

Old 07-10-2003, 06:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

beech, on the 400PV comment. Back up there ^ Ernie was talking about how close his Banshee and Raptor are in a drag. I "think" that his banshee is a 400PV, maybe not a cheeta or whatever the heck that is ( yeah I'm half 2stroke illit.) but I think thats what it is.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ward,
Didnt see Ernies reply, but the only advantage in a PV system is low end torque by means of exhaust port timing. In a full on drag, they are wide open. If Ernie has just the cylinders w/pv but no porting(they probably are somewhat ported I would imagine) then hes really only getting extra power from the 50cc gain. So it is within reason that a built Raptor would be able to keep up with it. Porting makes such a huge difference in how a 2 stroke runs.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

maybe that was in a different post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] its late...almost bed timeLOL

I was trying to show a little comparisson between them. But I do see your point.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ridley,
Just to make sure you dont call BS, heres the link to one of many 100 + hp banshees. Stock Cylinder. Two Stroke.

Oh Yea, there is a Dyno chart as well...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

RoostKing...

Old 07-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider

2-strokes feel faster then they are in all honestly! I love the adrenaline rush, like you where talking about, you don't get that with my rappy, vs my old banshee. But when its time to race, a stock raptor and stock banshee are nearly the same. The raptor (provided you don't wheelie the start) will take the banshee off the line till about 3rd-4th gear, then the banshee is right back up there. Now in the dirt, it will stay like this, just about even, but in the sand, the banshee can get about 1/2 quad length in front of it. Theres no butt kicking going on on either machine.
4-stroke is always going to be dominant for woods riding, where as 2-stroke will always be for the dunes. As far as the track, well, I would say before the yfz came out, 2 strokes where the way to go, no doubt about it. NOT anymore though. Prepare to get your butt handed to you by someone on a yfz.
I only know what I know about the raptor and banshee. I know nothing about the 'ol zilla. From the tales I have heard, they are pretty dang fast. There are so few of them out there though it doesn't really concern me.
Being an ex-cr-250 rider, I love the feel of the power that the 2-stroke had. It felt faster then any 4-stroke. But honda/yamaha have come along way with 4-stroke technology, and are absolutely killing the 2 strokes. 4-strokes are the future! If you want to live back in the past, thats your own deal, but be prepared to have some guy on a four stroke show you how its done!
Banshee's are not any faster then raptors! Its the difference in power delivery that throws people off.
In the dunes though, I would totally go with a banshee over a raptor. I'm not a dune rider, thats why I have gone with the raptor, cause I know, for a fact, the rappy is a way better performer in the woods then the banshee. That should be common knowledge by now. -sure, I'm sure you could get a banshee to perform better in the woods, but with all that money you through into the banshee, you could through it into the rappy, and still have it performing better then the banshee.
Get the bike/stroke that suits you. I don't know about everyone else, but I got sick an tired of having to fill up every hour an a half with expensive premix, when I could do the same riding for 3-4 hours on regular pump gas. I really got sick of all the added b/s of a 2-stroke. The things are soooo finicky, if you don't have them running just right, you WILL get smoked by your buddy on a 4-stroke! Some guys like spending endless hours in the garage on there 2-stroke machines, while theres others with 4-strokes that like firing her on up, riding all day, and puting her back in the garage till next weekend.
It just wasn't worth all the extra 2-stroke b/s. I love my raptor and will be sorry to see it leave. But I think the yfz is going to prove to be the best of both worlds (2 and 4 stroke)

Old 07-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

HAHAH Whats wrong Ridley, you arent so proud of your four strokes, as you took the Raptor out of your signature. LOL . Dont want to represent a Gold Plated turd?

No comments on the stock cylinder bike in the pic, with dyno chart???

How long, in years, will it be before a four stroke makes 100 hp normally aspirated? I say 3. How much will it cost???

Next.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

im a 2 stroke man but i also like 4 strokes. it does not matter to me which, actually sometimes i wished i had a 4 stroke. Banshee's and Quadzilla's are fast sure but i would still rather have a Rappy, DS, YFZ, or Cannondale. i jus think that this should be dropped everyone should be happy with what they got and dont diss what other ppl have like or prefer.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How long, in years, will it be before a four stroke makes 100 hp normally aspirated?
How long did it take the Banshee?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 4-stroke wars vs 2-stroke wars