ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Did anyone see that Accident at Pismo Today? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/107890-did-anyone-see-accident-pismo-today.html)

RaptorOwner 07-12-2003 11:56 PM

Did anyone see that Accident at Pismo Today?

Someone came to my buddies camp this mornign about 9.30am and said there was a guy laid out in a bowl and to call 911, we placed the call and went out there to see a motorcycle and the guy was dead. It was horrifying!! I never seen nothing like it in my life and there was no time on how long he was like that. The people just came up on him and saw him in the bowl not moving at all. Thats one reason why no one should ride alone. The paremedics came and did all they could do for him, but he was gone. I just prayed for his family. We were there for about an hour and no one knew who he was at all. I hate to write this but I just had to tell someone. Its going to stick in my mind for the rest of my life.

03waryer 07-13-2003 12:02 AM

That's too bad you had to have something like that ruin a weekend. Nobody likes to see anything accidents like that and your right nobody should ride alone. Prayers go out to his family.

LuckyStrike 07-13-2003 12:04 AM

That really is too bad.

Seems this is almost inevitable on the holiday weekends--or close to them. Here at the Oregon Dunes a man was riding around with his 4-year-old kid and JUMPING over a dune w/o a spotter and slammed into a sheriff's patrol vehicle. Killed the guy but the kid is going to OK. As also is frequently the case he was an out-of-towner.

Very sad.

LS

2000 Banshee
Red Fullbore plastic
Frame powder-coated red
Mild porting
Single K&N
Toomey T-5's w/ Cascade silencers

2001 Polaris Trail Blazer
K&N
Re-jetted

twentycharacters 07-13-2003 12:07 AM

that is very sad. do they know the cause of death, yet? heat? how old was he?
maybe he was with people and got seperated?? this is truly tragic. my heart goes out to them.

TrailBlazerguy250 07-13-2003 12:17 AM

thats sad and witch makes it wost it the people that are against any one ridin is their gonna blame what he was driving. my prayers go out to his family

RaptorOwner 07-13-2003 12:28 AM

When we got there, there was about a gallon of blood that came out into the sand from his helmet, to me, it looked like his bike and himself landed there and was maybe hit by another bike or vehicle cuz there was no tracks from his bike. very odd. He was laying on his back with his head towards the bottom of the bowl thats why there was so much blood. I get sick talking about it. I cant see that stuff, I got a weeeeeeeeaaak stomach. From what I heard, no one at the time knew who he was or contacted his family. It could be on the local news at Pismo tonight but I am back in town.

iamchad2k5 07-13-2003 01:27 AM

wow. my heart droped when i heard that. thats one of the saddest things ive ever heard. just to find someone dead, thats not cool. did he maybe hit a jump too big and land wrong or something? was he on a dirtbike or what?

TrailBlazerguy250 07-13-2003 01:32 AM

wow that aint cool at all iam glad that that wasnt me lookin at it . on a island up here two people on quads came up the opsite side of the hill and hit it killed a 14 year old boy

PUSHINTHELIMIT 07-13-2003 01:45 AM

That is truly terrible! Finding someone that is dead will stick with you the rest of your life..... Very scarry and very sad, I know what that is like. I watched a person die that was VERY VERY close to me and it is something no one should go through.... especially at my age. and finding someone must be sickining!! The family has my prayers....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

twentycharacters 07-13-2003 01:46 AM

so there was evidence of a collision with another bike? i hope not. it means two things. because as sad as this is - a life is gone. 1. ATV haters will use that as fuel. 2. it also means that some chickenshhh person/or people did a hit and run and left him lying there to die until he was found. spineless BLANKING BLANKERS!!!!

raptor03 07-13-2003 01:58 AM

It's a sad day! God Bless....

dirthead 07-13-2003 02:16 AM

A very sad story, prayers go out to the mans family. I know how it is to witness something like that, I was at an air show and we (hundereds of people) saw a skydiver fall to his death. It leaves you with a sickening feeling in your stomach and heart, and reminders you how fleeting and fragile life really is.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

StockRappy 07-13-2003 02:21 AM

yeah u kinda realize how lucky u got it sometimes, no matter how much u think ur life sucks..

DaBeechMan 07-13-2003 02:36 AM

Sorry to hear that. I know i should have been in that guys situation more then 1 time, but thankfully im still here to cause trouble. I wish his family the best.

Its hard to see something like that. My two neighbores got into a head on crash and i lost one of my best friends in that crash. If its somebody close to you, you always catch yourself thinking it was a dream, and that it never really happend. It took me nearly 2 months to realize that my friend was actually gone. I could only imagine if he were actually family...

raptor8 07-13-2003 03:00 AM

it's OK to get sick when you come across that. Ive seen plenty of firefighters and cops do it...including me! sorry you had to see that!

ALIENraptor 07-13-2003 03:38 AM

I know. I was on my way to a local riding spot back "the levy" back in 2002, and some kid was with his father on a quadzilla crossing a street, the kid was driving and the father was on the back, and out of no where comes a drunk driver kills the kid and the father is torn apart for the rest of his life. I didnt see the accident happen but I saw the dead body in the road with a yellow tarp over it. Later I knew the kids cousine and he told me the whole story.

Talis 07-13-2003 03:40 AM

Raptorowner...

I know this might sound strange to some on the forum, but I'm actually a professional psychologist and I would recommend a few sessions with a counselor. It sounds like finding that man was fairly traumatic for you. You may find yourself unable to sleep, with decreased appetite, or with images of him running through your head. Even if it's just for a few sessions, you should talk to someone professional about your experience.
My prayers are with you.

DreDay 07-13-2003 06:28 PM

I was in pismo on saturday and saw a green bike on the ground and somebody layed out in a bowl. I just circled the scene because i didnt want to see a horrific scene..but i was thinking it would be a broken bone not death. Wheni passed by there was a ranger on the scene and other on lookers. It is truley sad the hear about this death. I am new to riding and i always new it was a dangerous sport. Everyone please be careful!

Bing 07-13-2003 07:34 PM

Can anyone find an article on this??

OutOfControl 07-14-2003 12:10 AM

I really hate to hear of anyones misfortune, not to mention the death of a fellow off roader. Best wishes to his family and friends.

TRDDAN 07-14-2003 12:30 AM

www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispotribune/6294592.htm

Thoughts and prayers . . .

LTZ 07-14-2003 02:27 AM

sad, very sad. Condolences to his family and friends........

Raptor03Rider 07-14-2003 03:29 AM

this totally sucks...we all know how dangerous this sport is, so please don't ever ride alone and always use good judgement...my prayers are with the family...

Bing 07-14-2003 03:49 AM

Thanks TRDDan

As Raptor03rider said
we all know the dangers

As I learned a few weeks back,,,,,,,,its our job to teach the new guys.
Our sport is a very dangerous one.
We all need to ride with fear in our mind,,,to keep us safe.

And the thing is,,,,,,,,,most people that ride ATV'S these days are new riders. (most of the people on this forum)

Please ride safe!!!! and put safety 1st.

Bing 07-14-2003 11:34 AM

I just stumbled upon this while reading my home state newspaper. Something for all you moms and dads to ponder.

8-year-old hospitalized after ATV accident

RaptorOwner 07-15-2003 01:09 AM

Bing - I just went ahead and looked at your local news, Dude, you got some non stop action in that part of the US!!

fender 07-15-2003 02:03 AM

thats sad all my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends
\

ride safe

Sloberdog 07-15-2003 04:25 AM

This is a sad, sad, story.

garyc660R 07-15-2003 09:14 AM

I am sorry for the families loss. He even had all of his safety gear on. I find it kind of hard too believe he could get that kind of a head injury with a helmet on, riding a bike, and in the sand??? Maybe he jumped and wound up under the bike upon landing?

MichaelAZ 07-15-2003 09:37 AM

So sad, my prayer go out to his family. The part that sticks out to me was the mention of a new bike and first time out the dunes. I think people dont realize the dangers of these powerful machines ( I know I didnt till I got hurt) and think that they can do the stuff they have seen others do,so sad to learn otherwise............................

RaptorOwner 07-15-2003 11:23 AM

I still think someone else was involved, only because how the bike was laying and no tracks around. You know how you come up on a dune and you cant see the other side? Thats when other vehicles can come over and nail you big time. There were no tracks around him and I didnt stick around to see when they took the bike but I did see that the left side of the number plate was sticking out of the rear tire fender well. Like everyone says, be cautious and ride safe, dunes are always changing and they are never the same.

Raptorx44 07-15-2003 11:32 AM

Wow man if noone else was involved, that definately a freak accident. No tracks like he landed in the bowl?

RaptorOwner 07-16-2003 11:10 AM

Yeah it looked like he just was placed there in the bowl with no tracks or anything around him. You know when you eat it in the sand and you see all the rollover affects from your quad and body well none of that was around him thats why I thought it was pretty wierd myself.

HiFlyinRaptorRyder 07-17-2003 11:10 PM

So there were absolutley no marks from where he crashed? If not it almost sounds like he was placed there on purpose, but what kind of sick person would do that??? I know theres marks from where i have crashed and my ground is like a rock. Does anybody know what he was riding, ive heard green quad mentioned and yamaha mentioned???

DragRaptor727 07-17-2003 11:17 PM

well im guessing the guy might have been there for a while and sence its been sooo windy there. the wind might have blew away all the tracks.

SRK399 07-18-2003 12:52 AM

The wind could have blew the tracks away, but in 10-15 mins? They said he was on a fairly new Yamaha dirtbike (for those who missed the artical).

I was in a near death expirience a little over a year ago. Me and my cousin were heading back to his place on his moped, I was on spring break in West Palm Beach Florida. We were on a road that didnt get much attention, there was a highway to the right of it, the road we were on was old. Well, a drunk lady hit us at 35- 40 mph. We went into the windshield, busted it up bad. She stopped 30ft after the collision, the moped was 100ft down the road. My cousin was wearing a motorcycle helmet, and HJC, and was knocked out for about 40mins. My helmet was a fullface bicycle helmet, that I didnt strap. It flew off. My femur broke, came out of the skin. My other cousin came to find us and saw the scene, he said there was a puddle of blood on the ground, that was from me, I lost tons of blood, almost had to have a blood transfusion. Well, in the hospital for 5 days, on crutches for a month. It happened on April 5, 2002. Over a year later, and it still hasnt gone to court. There is a lot more to the story, but the post would be really long. Anyways, I saw what my family went through, and NO family should ever have to go through something like this. My mom went into depression, I missed over 35 days of school that year, (lol, almost half those days I was snowboarding), wheel chairs are not cool... I was thrashed, scars everywhere, one down the middle of my forehead, I wanna keep that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was terrible though, Ill never forget that, the looks on peoples faces, the blood drowning my eyes, the moaning, pain, strecher, whenever I hear sirens, I pray its not a family member.

One spill is all it takes... I found that out, I rolled my Z, didnt ride for a couple months, scared the sh!t out of me, you just gotta have respect for these machines, they always win. Thats too bad...

DragRaptor727 07-18-2003 12:58 AM

its realy realy windy at pismo this year.

DuneMe 07-18-2003 01:31 AM

Pismo dunes are a bit tricky. You unload on the beach and as you go inland the dunes slope up very gradually then drop off. When I first went there I almost nose-dived a few times. Really taught me to check out the dunes / riding area wherever I go before getting on the gas (although sometimes I still forget that!)

To the Friends and Family Our Thoughts Are With You!

RaptorOwner 07-18-2003 01:51 AM

The wind was not blowing that whole day believe it or not. I know, everytime I have gone the wind really kicks up but that day it was a nice calm morning and then this happens. It was a blue and white yamaha maybe a yz250 but not for sure. I just didnt get it at all why know one (Rangers) took any pictures of the seen at all. It was a strange accident and believe me, I will be most carefully riding now a days.

I wonder if there was any follow up stories on that guy?