ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Lucky Me (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/112979-lucky-me.html)

yamamayzf1000r 08-15-2003 12:14 AM

Lucky Me

I got my GYT-R jet kit in the mail today, WOO HOO!
So I go ahead strip my quad down and start the install. The needles were a piece of cake so I move onto removing the fuel bowls.
I get the phillps screw driver, correct size of course, and try to loosen the screws then "strip". I rounded off the first screw, *%^#. No big deal, I keep my cool somewhat. Move onto the next screw, same F*^%'n thing. Darn it, I've only had it since April, they should'nt be seized.
Unless someone can give me some real clever tips I'll be stuck with having to drill out and tap the screw holes.

BigScary 08-15-2003 12:27 AM

Lucky Me

before you try to back the screws out.........put the screwdriver on the screw head
then give the screw driver a good tap with a hammer
that makes them much easier to break loose

Crotts 08-15-2003 12:29 AM

Lucky Me

Use a pair of vise grips to break them free and replace them, I used hex head screws instead. If you can't get it with vise grips try a flat headed screw driver like a chisel on the sides and tap it with a hammer. Those screw strip out easy, thats why they call they butter bolts.

2000IAWarrior 08-15-2003 12:35 AM

Lucky Me

use a needlenose vise grip. or buy a impact driver.. best damn money i spent. its a screwdriver u put the screw end head in and use a hammer and hwen u hit it it turns and pushes at the same time

Starky 08-15-2003 12:38 AM

Lucky Me

I'll probably have the same post tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.

yamamayzf1000r 08-15-2003 08:55 AM

Lucky Me

Starky,
Good luck! I was able to get a couple of the srews loose by tightening them first then trying to back them out.
If I was to do it all over again I would go down to the parts store and borrow/rent an impact driver.

Once you do get those little bastards out replace them with allen bolts.

08-15-2003 09:20 AM

Lucky Me

The real small vice grips seem to work the best in my opinion, much easier to get on the screws. As stated before after you get them out you should replace your screws with hex screws, will make your future carb work a lot easier, and believe me, you will have that carb apart again,

Patrick

yamamayzf1000r 08-15-2003 09:36 AM

Lucky Me

Originally posted by: yamamayzf1000r
Starky,
Once you do get those little bastards out replace them with allen bolts.
FYI, bolt size is M4 X 10MM. I picked up some nice stainless steel allen bolts. Dabbing a little anti seize wouldn't be a bad idea either.

garyc660R 08-15-2003 09:42 AM

Lucky Me

The auto parts store will probably not have the screws....go too your local Lowes, Home Depot, etc too get them. I can't believe I delt with those screws so long.....the allen heads are 10X better.