Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tire changers, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire changers, any opinions?

That's not the point..... the tire is off of the bead when you start. The point is to get the beads to seat. You spray the fluid in between the tire and wheel and then when it ignites then it forces the beads onto the rim... the same way air does normally. Then you can adjust pressure to where you need it with a tire pump.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

I think I am gonna go with the first one, the shipping is $25 but it looks like a sturdier piece so I may not have to permanently mount it. I like how the tire is on the ground you push down to break the beed. I cant figure out how the other one works from the picture of it.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I use a CMP bead breaker CMP

It's a handheld deal that actually does the job pretty good. Like most things, busting tires takes some style and finess. Once the bead is broke ya can F-around all day getting the wheel out if ya do it the hard way. A buddy of mine does them in record time and has been teaching me how to work the wheel out and in easier. WD-40 makes a great temporary lube and get a good set of spoons (tire irons).

The CMP works pretty darn good 90% of the time - seems the stock wheels/tire combo are tougher. Aftermarket tires seem easier. Sometimes it's a wreslting match. Rockymountain has them for around $75. Mine has paid for itself twice already.

Not the best, not the worst, but generally seems to work (and it's very portable).

Old 10-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

i've never tried this...but i'm told its the easiest may to break the bead.

remove valve stem. place tire on round. start truck,car suv. proceed to drive over tire (not rim) until bead breaks. back up. flip tire over. repeat.

you will still need spoons

Old 10-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

i have tried using a truck (dodge ram 1500), a tractor (john deere 4400) and a tractor loader to break the bead of a stock rear tire off a raptor. that thing was a pain in the a$$. it ended up going to a car shop that is near my house and they did it for $3. i have done my stock tires and they weren't that hard, but for some reason these ones weren't letting go. about the tire changers, i think my cousin bought the first one you posted. he got his off of ebay also. i have never seen him use it yet so i don't know how it works. all i know is that he told me that he had to bolt it to a wide piece of wood so it wouldn't move on him.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I never had any luck driving on them either. Kinda made me REAL angry if I remember right.

I will probably have to bolt it down. I may just go pop for a old coates car tire changer.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

I got the first one in my original post from that seller on ebay, it arrived friday last week and I bolted it to my shop floor last night. I had allocated about an hour to change 2 tires figuring it would take me a while so I got a case of beer. Well, I changed 2 tires to new in a little under 1 beers time (10 minutes)

this was my best buy in 2003!

Old 11-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome....pics please. i need to follow your lead. unfortunately my quad shop is actually a shed. space is at a premium. i'd like to see how you bolted to the floor etc.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

As someone else stated, Wal Mart. The local dealers wanted 30-40 PER tire!!!!! Wal Mart was 5 ( should be 3.50, but they didn't know how to ring it up and I didn't care!)

Old 11-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

i change all my own tires, its real easy. but I used to work at a tire shop and know a few little tricks.

all I use is a big *** flat head screwdriver, valve core tool and my SUV.

just run it over with your truck. a mix of water and dish soap mixed in a spray bottle works wonders, spray all around the bead and rub it in. then go very slowly over the bead getting as close as possible ... it will come off after a few passes. turn it over and repeat.

coat the beads again with the soapy water remove the tire with the tire iron (big *** crewdriver)

then put the new tire on using the soapy solution again. I dont have a air compressor so I take them down to the gas station to pop them on the bead .... again the soapy solution works wonders. it is easier to get them to bead up with the valve cores out.

Quick Reply: Tire changers, any opinions?