Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tire changers, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire changers, any opinions?

Im looking for opinions on the tire changers on ebay. there is a couple different styles and was wondering if anyone had used any of the types listed there.

Here is one

another

Expensive one

small one

The place I normally get em changed at started charging me 2 much, 2 swap 2 tires and rims it would cost me more than what these units cost except for the one. I got retard strenght so it dont really matter if I got work the tire over but was wondering if anyone knew which type is best?

Old 10-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I know the best ATV tire changer out there for cheap. WalMart SuperCenters will swap tires for $3.50 if the one around you has an automotive
service department. I bought tire irons and some cheap piece of crap from Harbor Freight. The tire irons are good for spreading peanutbutter on bread, the tire changer from Harbor Freight broke assembling it. I have a tough time stomaching these shops charging $20-$25 a tire, what a rip off.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the nearest one to me that has an automotive is about an hour away, East Coast ATV is also an hour away, but hell, Im pretty sure they use one of these units too.

I will look out for the one from harbor freight and not get that one

Old 10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

DO NOT TRY THIS! I speak from experience [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Steps to change a tire by hand:
1: Remove valve stem with special tool & remove all air
2: Use bumper jack on bumper to push off bead from rim
3: Turn tire over and do step 2 again
4: Apply dishsoap to rim and tire beads (both sides)
5: Use tire tools to remove tire from rim
6Reverse steps to install tire on a rim
7)Be sure valve stem is removed from rim to be pressurized
8)The hardest part: Squirt lighter fluid or ether inside of tire, stand back, and then ignite it. The small blast forces super heated air to blow the tire up. This is very dangerous.
9)Install valve stem and air up tire to proper psi.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, I saw that lighter fluid trick done in a show on discovery. The tires were alot bigger though and only low pressure as they were in the arctic or something.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Heh, one eyebrow, 2 eyebrows, whew...wait, where's my arm hair[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Most tires will only require that the valve core be removed. This will let the air flow in unrestricted. I have also seen the ether trick but the same goes for me..... this was in cold climates with large floatation tires. I saw it on PBS I think!!

If you have any questions about mounting tires let me know.... I spent about a year and a half working for Les Schwab tires up here. Lots of little tips and tricks to get them to go!!

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

which of the above changers do you like?

Old 10-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

It appears that all of them are essentially just bead breakers. I'm guessing that you will still have to use some sort of tire iron to get the tire off of the rim. Use tire irons to get the tire off of the wheel... while using a good bead soap to keep things slick! Hard to tell you exactly what to do when I can't see the tool in person and see what it's supposed to do according to directions.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DeuceRooster
DO NOT TRY THIS! I speak from experience [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

8)The hardest part: Squirt lighter fluid or ether inside of tire, stand back, and then ignite it. The small blast forces super heated air to blow the tire up. This is very dangerous...
WTF? Can you explain exactly why this is needed? How do you ignite something on the INSIDE of the tire? Especially if it is sealed so that the tire gets blown up. And if it pressurizes from being hot, then it will lose the pressure when it cools down.

Quick Reply: Tire changers, any opinions?