Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cant wheelie yfZ IN SNOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant wheelie yfZ IN SNOW

i have a yfz and cant get it to wheelie in the snow, i just cant pick up any traction(2-4 inches of snow), i see pic and vids with quads wheelieing in snow likes its nothing. is there a problem? My tires are the stock ones and i just get a rooster tail going. do you think if i got some better tires i could do it?

Old 11-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

YFZs are really hard to wheelie as i hear. Just how they are made. have you tried putting your foot on grab bar and poping the clutch?

WOOOOOOT 300TH post lol hahaha

Travis

Old 11-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer

well on dirt, grass or something like that where my tires get more traction and can give it a little throttle give it a little tug and up she goes.. so it must be my tires?

Old 11-17-2003, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer

if so, what tires would you reccomend? im leanin towards ITP Holeshots or Kenda Klaws, or maybe MAxxis Razrs?

Old 11-17-2003, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

I like my ITPs. My dad owns Razrs and they seem to slide out from under him in corners, and spin on take off in loose dirt. Mine do better IMO in sliding and in the holeshot. Its also can wheelie with them easy but its a raptor and all you do is give it gas.Go with ITP. I have pics in my galery with them on my rappy. 1 thing, how often is there snow on the ground? If there is snow on the ground 24/6 365 you might want to go with some type of snow tire?

Travis

Old 11-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hey bud, its snow and ice...... Chances are good your not going to get enough traction to pull up the nose. If they work fine everywhere else except the snow I'd say its the conditions that are keeping you from bringing up the front end, not the tires. If your that worried about it though, go buy some seriously aggressive mud tires. Maybe that will work. I know the stock tires on the Yfz hook up. My buddie's left a rooster tail around my track like a dirtbike. No probs there.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

put a couple hundred ice screws in the rear tires, that will find the bite in the winter slop!

Old 11-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TJw6981
YFZs are really hard to wheelie as i hear. Just how they are made. have you tried putting your foot on grab bar and poping the clutch?

WOOOOOOT 300TH post lol hahaha

Travis
I agree....even with my holeshots I can't wheelie my 400ex sitting on the seat in a lot of snowy conditions. Certain types of snow yes, but typically not.

It's all about getting the weight and traction to your rear tires. Popping the clutch from a stop might work...if not, get the quad rolling to the base of the powerband in 1st or 2nd with your knee on the seat and gas it while bouncing your weight back.

-Josh

Old 11-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what type of snow you have and what the conditions are. Some days, I can wheelie on a snow packed trail, no problem, other days you can't. You could try different tires but I think your wasting your money. Screws are good for ice, but as soon as you ride over pavement or dirt they well start getting dull and pulling out. I have no idea where you are at, or how the snow lasts for you. For me its November through May.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

i live in alberta canada and i dont know what altitude im riding at but i need new tires anyway so i will prob get some holeshots

Quick Reply: cant wheelie yfZ IN SNOW