Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolvy one way clutch bearing? Starting to free wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolvy one way clutch bearing? Starting to free wheel

I noticed last night on some steep down hills that my Wolvy would start to lose it's engine braking. Pretty scary heading down a rough narrow rocky steep section of trail. It would just start to free wheel like a Polaris with out the engine braking system. Just done this maybe 3-4 times out of riding 6-8hrs. I had a Big bear that started doing the same thing. My pal (R.I.P.) was a certified Yammy mech and said it was a one way bearing behind the clutch hub. We never fixed it while I owned it. End up trading it in on the Wolvy. He fixed after I traded...he worked for the dealer I traded with. Never asked what he done to it. Now he's gone and I can't ask[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had similar problems with this problem. I'm a fair mech myself, but would like to have some info before I tear into it. I would think that about any auto clutch Yamahas should be similar. Thanks in advance guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 98 Wolvy and mine is doing the same thing. I have never had it look at yet but had to get the start worked on a couple of months ago. I have the manual and I am still trying to figure out the increase and decrease screw on the side of the case.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

the one way bearing is behind the drive clutch on a honda it the clutch hub bearing a sleeve needs to be changed $$$$

Old 11-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Roach007
I I have the manual and I am still trying to figure out the increase and decrease screw on the side of the case.
it's for the free play in gearshift . when you shift the first bit of travel pushes in the driven clutch to make shifting easier

Old 11-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

So which way do I need to turn it if it high revs in a gear before it catches up..

Old 11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

If I'm not wrong the adjustment on the side of the case is the auto clutch not the centrifugal clutch. But if its reving up between gears I would decrease it some and try that.
I know that bearing is similar to the one on the stater that lets the drive turn one way and not the other. I know those bearings are not cheap. I was hoping to find some one that has done this repair before...It's always good to have an experenced point of view.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

you want to increase the free play. just move the gear shift lever while turning the screw ther should be a small amount of play

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

There is a kind of one-way bearing that works with the clutch, its centrifical and a clutch in of itself. It just so happens that it only spins one way because its connected to the crank. The wolvy has both a centrifical clutch and a clutch pack similar to a manually clutched quad, it just so happens that instead of a clutch perch on the bars its activated by the shifter with just about any movement. When you get below a certain RPM the centrifical clutch disengages due to springs pulling the shoes inward toward itself. This will allow it to freewheel from the clutch housing. Once your on the gas the weights in the centrifical clutch engage the clutch housing and lock them together.

If you put it in gear and let off the shifter the only clutch disengaged is the centrifical between the crank and common clutch pack. If you have to rev the motor up higher than normal it sounds like your centrifical clutch is beat, have you changed to a different oil recently? there is no adjustment for the centrifical that I know of.

there is a good picture of both clutches in the microfiche on albaaction.com go to parts finder, yamaha atvs, wolverine and pick "clutch" it will show both. Direct links to the fiche havent worked for a while or I would do that.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

I really haven't had a chance to check it further today...could possibly be low on oil...I didn't want to check it while I was out last night because of the heavy mud on the engine....The centrifugal clutch doesn't seem to be acting up on mine....just losing the engine breaking down steep hills... It pulls out fine with no extra increase of engine rpm.
Thanks for the replies

Old 11-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well found out what it was...the one way bearing behind the centrifugal clutch... The cure???....Send it Mickey Dunlap at FST for the manual clutch kit I was wanting...and I won't have to replace the one way bearing that costs $70[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It kinda takes the sting out of the $150 for the manual clutch..