Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

(Raptor)Has anyone tried staggering main jets more then stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Raptor)Has anyone tried staggering main jets more then stock?

I am just wondering if anyone is running a funky combination for there main jets? My buddy just bought a KN power lid and in there jetting recommendations it says for a stock raptor with lid and I believe there filter you should run a 150 or 155 in the left and a 170 or 175 in the right, with the needle on the fifth position down. I mean people usually run 155/160 or such, stock being 140/145. As of right now in the cold weather I am running 155/160, 25 pilots 2.25 turns out and clips on the fourth position. But I am also going to start running that outwear that velcros onto your airbox and remove the lid entirely. So given his setup being similar I thought about trying that jetting suggestion from K&N. The only main difference is hes running a Yosh full system and Im running a E-series slip on. His jetting is 165/170 right now before the lid mod, with 25 pilots 1.5 turns out i think and clips on the fourth position.

other mods KN filter with proflow kit, tabs are cut out of snorkel(for now)the weather here is going to be about 40-60 degrees for our trip to silver lake i would hope in april. Altitude varies in MI from like 200-1300ish I think. I dont know the exact elevation of everywhere we ride.

So I guess here are some questions and im not a dumb person Im just looking for input to try and better tweak our fourwheelers...

1. Do our numbers as of now sound right? Havent been able to fully test either quad yet so im just looking for some opinions.
2. Has anyone tried a different combo for jetting that might have worked a little better? more stagger or less. Say like 155/175 or like 157.5/160?
3. I thought about trying 160/180, 162.5/182.5 or 165/185 given KN's destruction's but like i said im not running their kn lid im just using the designed outwear for the top of the box, how do these combos sound to you guys?
4. If I take the lid off and run the outerwear and use stock jetting recommendations should i try like 157.5/162.5, 160/165? I think my mains are on at 155/160 in this weather and my current setup with lid, perhaps a tad rich for warmer weather im not really sure because i ran 155/160 all last year and it seemed fine but when the weather got cold it was still running fine at WOT. That led me to believe I was running maybe a tad rich for warm weather.
5. How much does taking the lid off and running an outwear or kn powerlid actually help over removing the stock restrictor(lid and snorkel)?
6. Lastly not a jetting question, but I am thinking about getting a new front sprocket but not really sure if I want +/- 1. Its seems like I have a ton of low end with my silencer. So I dont know if I should go down. I want it more less for dunes and drag racing. Its almost like im looking for more snap to get the tires to actually spin some to keep the front end down or just go up and take away some low end.

Thanks ahead of time.

If you want to check out our quads Go here, our website.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

bump

Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

Hey hey, thanks for all the help guys...

Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those jutting specs. don't sound right to me, I have never heard of anyone reccomending jetting like that. I did read in another forum of someone trying lots of stagger, his first impression was good but I never heard any more about it.

For dunes most people go down one tooth on the front sprocket but it depends on what you want to do, just ride or drag race.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, thats alot of questions...I've never heard of anyone ever staggering the jets more than stock, so I assume it doesn't help much or we would of heard about it.

Your jetting seems to be a little lean how it is now, bump it up to what your friend is running but keep the pilot in the same position when you put that lid on.

Removing the lid generally adds a few ponies, it's worth removing it. I completly cut my all the way off (look in the pics).

In the terms of your sprocket try dropping the countershaft to 12 if you feel like that gearing is to low adjust the rear sprocket while keeping the 12. Renthal's web page has some good gearing info gearing explained

Hope this helps at least a little.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

Yeah that did help a little guys thanks. I dont think i am running lean right now though last season before I put it away in the colder weather it had a bad stumble down low, once it got past there it was fine topend. So that is why i put the new pilots and moved the needle over the winter. Other then that the plug came out with some color and there seemed to be no hesitation or stumble.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

anymore info?(bump)