Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No replacement for displacement? HA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No replacement for displacement? HA!

Originally posted by: AngryHampster
Nitrous: great way to get some good, inexpensive power. face it: if you have a decked out small block V8...say around 600bHP, itd be hell to drive on the street compared to a turbo'd I4 or 6 cylinder with nitrous.
WIth n2o and turbo, you have a very calm daily driver, and a mean racing machine for the weekend.

with a hard hitting V8 you have bad gas milage, excessive torque for street use, and a helluva lot less reliability.
Not entirely true ... Back in 96 or 97 Hotrod Magazine built a chevy small block vortec 302ci that was producing 550bhp and was still able to pull a sweet 25mpg @ 65mph ... I forget what vehicle they had the engine in, but it was one of the good old heavy cars like an old Camaro or something ... Not sure what their secret was, but it just shows you can have power and economy out of the 8's.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

killerKXF, you just don't know what you are talking about. Please post your experience with a blower, turbo or nitrous. I have had three blower cars and several nitrous cars. Anybody that has a blower or turbo can tell you about detonation, which will tear up a piston in a heartbeat. All three applications have there advantages and disadvantages. I am not knocking any of them. I like them all, although I have never had a turbo.

My wife would point and laugh at your wife. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] JK Chill out dude.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

i agree id rather put a pipe or supercharger on myne that bore it out.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

and does cause prolonged damage to internal parts
Depending on use. A blower puts way more wear and tear on a motor than nitrous b/c of many reasons like the load on the crank. It is a constant wear unlike nitrous.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, well when a turbo will run you about 3500 to 5 grand, the big bore starts to look a lot better.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

o wow i didnt relize it was that much for a turbo. i guess i would rather bore it out and strenghten the motor up

Old 03-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

I am definetly going to get my own fill station set up some time soon. How much would it cost to buy the right nozzles and a huge tank like that? Oh, and as for when the nitrous runs out, you just go and race the slow guys! LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

I lease my tanks by the year for $50. You can lease them by the day for like 6 cent or something.

All you need to fill them is a nitrous line and I would recommend a filter. Freeze the smaller bottle and it will transfer on its own. I have that shed and during the summer, I have no problem putting 12lbs in a 10lb bottle that way.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Doc, I think what he might mean, or at least should, is that it CAN be bad if its not done right.
Mad thats very true; except; I can say the same thing about turbos and blowers. Anything mechanical can fail. killerKXF made the statement that N2O is less consistant, reliable, effective and causes more durability problems in engines. I have built all three, and I'm here to say thats just not true. There is WAY more parts that can break in a blower and turbo than in a N2O system. I torched 4 pistons in one of my blower engines once because of a 50 cent bad fuel fitting one time. I had a turbo shaft nut failure on another. I just got through looking at a big block that was wasted because of a $5 bearing failure in a blower. On that one the only thing that could be saved was the bolt on's. The more "stuff" you have on an engine the "stuff" you have to fail. With blowers and turbos the "stuff" list that can fail is very long. On a N2O engine the "stuff" list is very short: wiring, lines, and solenoids.

As far as effectiveness goes, killerKXF asked me to ask any pro racer; and I said I did, and that Shannon Jenkins is #1 in the world in pro-mod. He uses nitrous.

As far as reliability goes. I had a stock engine with over 175,000 miles on it. I ran more than 300lbs of N2O through it. I tore it down and the stock cast piston tops looked like typical high mileage pistons. They looked fine. I can turn my nitrous system off, and run for another 100,000 on just the engine. I can't do that with one of my blower or turbo engines.

I'm talking about street stuff and mild race stuff here. Most people on this board don't get involved with big time race programs. I only ran a 125HP shot on my stock motor. That was about 20 to 25% of total output. If you stay around 20% or below total augmented power in any given engine, you should be fine. I say should because I don't know how good of shape your engine is in to begin with. Nitrous could be the straw that breaks the crankshaft in half!!!!

Most problems with nitrous oxide are caused by people that have a rat of an engine to begin with and they stick the biggest pill in the kit they can find. That way we can "beat" my friend that drives a brand XYZ car, bike, quad or whatever. They hit the button and run over their crank and blame it all on that "bad" nitrous kit. After all, it just blew up my engine!!!!!!! If I would have put my fogger on my stock engine I would ran over my crankshaft.

The point I'm trying to make here is you can use a nitrous system as much or as little as you choose. You can't do that with a blower or turbo system. You ALWAYS have to run good fuel in a blower or turbo system. You only have to run "good" fuel in a nitrous system when you are going to squeeze.

Whether it be a high compression piston, blower, turbo, nitrous or just a high flow aircleaner, there is good and bad points to each system. I just want to be fair and say that people should think long and hard and pick the right system, "for them". I also wanted to point out that people that make blanket statements like "nitrous will blow up your engine" or "you will never have a problem if you bolt a blower on you engine" are just wrong.

Learn any one of these systems inside and out and learn to tune an engine and you will have a minimum of problems. If you don't, and just go out and bolt on some part without knowing how it works, their advantages or disadvantages..............well............your going to be in for a very expensive lesson.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent post DocTurbo!!