ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Raptor vs. New 450's?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/141419-raptor-vs-new-450s.html)

ravencr 03-02-2004 09:30 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

I'm pretty new to this board, and I've searched on this topic for quite some time now not really finding any concrete evidence that I'm really looking for. I've got a lot of questions, so here they are:

1) How can the stock 450's be faster (I'm looking for acceleration and not top speed) than a stock 660?

2) If they are indeed faster in acceleration than the 660, why is that?

3) Can you lighten the flywheel on the 660 to make it rev quicker?

4) I'm assuming the Rev limit on the new 450's are higher, so what prevents someone from buying something to increase the rev limit on the Raptor? Wouldn't this make the Raptor faster top speed then?

I'm looking for the best all around trail quad, when properly equipped. I'm going to get full skids, smaller front sprocket, possibly a larger rear sprocket, and from there, I'm not really sure. I want to be able to lug around at very slow speeds, but also when I get into the throttle from a stop, I want my acceleration to be extremely fast from 0-40 mph, since most of my riding is below those speeds. I know the suspension on the 450's are better, but I'm okay with the stock front suspension on the Raptor, I guess. I'm 230 lbs, and I'm used to 2 stroke dirtbikes with hard hitting powerbands, and I know it's extremely hard to mimick anything like that on a 4-stroke. But, I've also heard the 450's are as close as your can get to a 2-stroke feel, right? So, what did they do to make them feel that way that I can easily do to the Raptor and make it that much better than the 450's?

Chris

Rider1169 03-02-2004 09:49 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

i can only tell u, if u want a good all around quad. get the raptor. reverse is a start, mre potential to aftermarket parts. the yfz is too wide for trail and way to uncomfortable. raptor would be my choice anyday. unless ur a alltime never trail riding racer, then MAYBE yfz, but i love raptors

ravencr 03-02-2004 09:53 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

I agree with all that for sure, and to be honest it would really take some hard concrete evidence for the 450's to convince me to get one over the Raptor. So, I guess what are some easy things I can do to make the Raptor more trailable, faster revving, etc?

Chris

Yfz450VsBanshee 03-02-2004 09:54 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

IMO the 450 isnt to wide for trail riding. And there is a company(dont know what it is called) that adds 1 inch of foam to the 450 seat.

maddog56 03-02-2004 09:55 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

There has been thousands of posts on this subject in the last few weeks alone. Search deeper.

1. 450 is not nearly as detuned in stock form
2. see 1
3. yes, but its still a big piston, almost the size of a chevy 350. You can only go so far.
4. you can increase revs on the rap. yfz is 10k stk, rap is 9k. yfz is dohc, you will never get the revs out the raptor that you can on the yfz. higher revs = higher hp.

From what you have said, you want a raptor but dont want to get beat by yfz's. The raptor has an advantage in the trails with the narrower track and more low end. The yfz will be faster than a raptor until you get into the engine with a cam and piston. Only then can you even out the mod for mod war w/ the yfz. At 230lbs, you are probably somewhat tall. This is important because many taller riders claim they feel cramped on the yfz. I am 5'11" and I think the bike is small, and I come close to hitting the handlebars when I turn.

You need to asses what you really want. If you want a fast trail bike, get a raptor. If beating everyone else is your goal, you need a yfz. Get on both of them and find out where you are comfortable. This will be more important than a lot of the other factors.

ravencr 03-02-2004 09:55 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

Originally posted by: Yfz450VsBanshee
IMO the 450 isnt to wide for trail riding. And there is a company(dont know what it is called) that adds 1 inch of foam to the 450 seat.
So, why do you recommend the 450 over the Raptor for trail riding then?

Chris

Yfz450VsBanshee 03-02-2004 09:59 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

I never said i reccomend the 450 over the raptor for trail riding. I just said i dont think the 450 is to wide for trail riding. Also if you think the seat is to hard there is a company that can put 1 inch of foam in the seat.

As far as the tall guy thing. I'm 6'2 and really feel cramped on the 450. But i have a +1 steering stem and i am lowering my footpegs 1 inch also.

ravencr 03-02-2004 10:01 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

Originally posted by: maddog56
There has been thousands of posts on this subject in the last few weeks alone. Search deeper.

1. 450 is not nearly as detuned in stock form
So what did they do to the 450 that I can do to the Raptor to kick it's butt?

2. see 1
3. yes, but its still a big piston, almost the size of a chevy 350. You can only go so far.
So, is lightening the flywheel something a lot of people do to make it rev quicker? Does is have any negative effects on the engine? Will it vibrate more? Is it a simple process of taking it to a shop and having them mill it down?

4. you can increase revs on the rap. yfz is 10k stk, rap is 9k. yfz is dohc, you will never get the revs out the raptor that you can on the yfz. higher revs = higher hp.
So in reality the 450's only have more HP due to the higher RPM's, right? So, if this is the case, who has more power at 9K and below?

From what you have said, you want a raptor but dont want to get beat by yfz's. The raptor has an advantage in the trails with the narrower track and more low end. The yfz will be faster
In what respect? Top end? Acceleration? Both?

than a raptor until you get into the engine with a cam and piston. Only then can you even out the mod for mod war w/ the yfz. At 230lbs, you are probably somewhat tall. This is important because many taller riders claim they feel cramped on the yfz. I am 5'11" and I think the bike is small, and I come close to hitting the handlebars when I turn.

You need to asses what you really want. If you want a fast trail bike, get a raptor. If beating everyone else is your goal, you need a yfz. Get on both of them and find out where you are comfortable. This will be more important than a lot of the other factors.
Gotcha!

Chris

ravencr 03-02-2004 10:03 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

Originally posted by: Yfz450VsBanshee
I never said i reccomend the 450 over the raptor for trail riding. I just said i dont think the 450 is to wide for trail riding. Also if you think the seat is to hard there is a company that can put 1 inch of foam in the seat.

As far as the tall guy thing. I'm 6'2 and really feel cramped on the 450. But i have a +1 steering stem and i am lowering my footpegs 1 inch also.
Sorry about that post! I meant that to go to the other guy! I just replied to your post.

Chris

Rider1169 03-02-2004 10:06 PM

Raptor vs. New 450's??

i personally feel the raptor revs quick to its 9g limit, but i suppose a reve box will increase that, its pretty good to go in the trails, little narrow, but u can really zip through trees and manuver it quite well in the woods. pipe is the best source of punch for the raptor tho. the yfz just feels wierd to ME in the trails. i frefer a raptor. the rear shock on a raptor stock isnt that bad, fronts might need a little work if your getting serious. maybe a little wider too, but ive never had a prob in the trails, only on the track