Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wished I never screwed with my Raptor

Did you adjust your float level?

Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

It's strange that the stock pilots still work fine in my 686. I forget how much they are turned out but most people are runnin at least 25's in a 686. I have no problems with low end or starting the bike either, don't even have to use the choke.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Turn the gas on? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

I got it to start, idled real high on full choke, and the new header pipe started glowing bright red. Took the choke off, idles bad, and stalls occasionally. Applying throttle makes the engine bog. I'm going to first readjust the mixture screws, I'll try 2 turns out first. If this doesn't do it, I'll pull out the 25's and put back the stock pilots. Question; can anyone recommend a tool to get to the mixture screws easier? Kinda tight fit for my hand, really don't have any feel for how much its turning if its turning at all, or do I need to pull out the carbs just to do that?

Old 03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only proper way too adjust the mixture screws is too loosen the clamps and flip the carbs over. I thought I had mine adjusted on time while the carbs were attached only too flip the carbs and have something totally different...not good. I run 27.5 pilots too clean up the lean idle circuit. SO, flip the carbs and do a proper check (while flipping the carbs make sure you had no air leaks around the intake boots). Everything checks out? NEXT, pull the tops off the carbs and make sure everything is assembled correct with the needles...meaning the needle clip(s) have not fell out + the holder is in place properly + the spring is installed correct and located in the correct place on the lid...it sits outside the nipple in the center.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

hey i know this is a yamaha section....BUT with my two friends 400ex they had the same problem and you know what... the main jet somehow came unscrewed and fell out and we couldnt get them to start...after taring apart the carb we found this out...check it out see if the main jet is still screwed in...just my two cents

Old 03-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

The biggest problem with doing Raptor jetting is getting the boots back on. Do yourself a favor and buy the UPP carb intake boots. You'll never fight the carbs slipping out or popping off again. This was one of the best purchases I ever made, well worth the $90 or so. They literally snap right in. No need to push forward on the carbs to keep them from slipping out of the boots while tighting the hose clamps. I used to not spend the time jetting because of the time and swearing because of the stock boots. Do yourself the favor and get those. Now as far as your jetting issues, I'm continously learning and struggling with jetting. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Something simple to check. Pull the plastic caps off the top of the carb and make sure the little plastic needle retainer didnt pop off. I had that happen once and the quad wouldnt run worth crap. it'll take a few seconds after the tank is off and it's a simple thing to check.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

i took a bolt and mad a flat head on the end of it and its kind of tuff but i can adjust the A&F without taking anything off. not that hard to make and it saves a lot of time for bikes like mine when u got an open air box and 155-160 and the darn thing still runs rich

i think im about 1.5 turns out on each

Old 03-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

Heres an update: Ripped the carbs off again, adjusted the mixture screws to 2 turns out on each, reassembled, started it up, and it still idles bad. It is also surging at idle, don't know what would cause this. I'm assuming the larger pilot jets are the cause of the bad idle, so I'm going to rip it apart for a 3rd time and put back the originals. Two things that did change, though; the header pipes are glowing BRIGHT red all the time now, even with the choke off. Suggestions? Also, when I crack the throttle, it runs great, no bogging like before.

Quick Reply: Wished I never screwed with my Raptor