Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wished I never screwed with my Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wished I never screwed with my Raptor

Here's the situation: bought and installed a yoshi full exhaust, installed GYTR jet kit, 155,160 mains, 25 pilot, needle on 3rd groove(just like thousands of you out there), K&N filter, drilled 4-1 inch dia. holes in airbox lid. Before I put on the exhaust or drilled the holes, I just had the carb jetted as above, the motor ran, but it didn't idle smooth at all, and stalled often. Applying fuel smoothed out the motor, and it ran well anything above idle. Now, the thing won't even start. I did nothing but what I stated above. I did get a momentary blip in the motor when I placed my hand over the exhaust end, did that 2 or 3 times. I eventually killed the battery trying. I'm now recharging the battery. I did pull the spark plug and clean and regap it, but it didn't look bad to begin with. Now I'm at a loss. I'd hate to have to pay someone to finish what I started, especially something that should be pretty simple!

Old 03-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

drop the pilot jet back down and try

Old 03-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

Jetting sounds like it's spot on. With the 25 pilot you needed to adjust your air screws( i have stock pilot with 3 turns out on each). Check and make sure the carbs are properly seated in the rubber boots. I'm pretty new to this so take this as my best guess. Hope it helps.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

is the plug wet

is there fuel leaking out of the overflow tubes coming out the bottom of the carb

pull your plug,,,is it wet/dry,,,,,what?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol

where is your air/fuel screw set?

when all is said and done

you will be very happy you put those mods on,,,,,for sure

Old 03-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

25 pilot is way to big...I still have the stock one installed iwith my 686 without any jetting problems. Just takes a little tweaking of the air/fuel screw.

It's a challenge to jet properly, takes alot of work and time. Not evey bike jets the same as all the others so you will have go by what everyone is saying and tweak it from there until it runs good. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

The plug was dry when I pulled it. No fuel leaking from over flow tubes. Intake boots are still intact. 3 turns out on each fuel mix screw. The pilot jets are the thing that puzzles me. Some say 25, others say stock are fine. Just a real pain to have to tear it all apart now that I finally got the carbs back in. Tearing them out is easy, getting them to seat back in properly is not! One more thing, while cranking it over, it started blowing alot of gas fumes out of the tail pipe. Would the 25 pilots cause this?

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

check that your choke cable is properly seated at the carb end
i had the same symptoms and was trying for days and found that the choke plunger had corroded inside the carbs ,after spraying silicon spray in there it came out and ran sweet

Old 03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

try this
pull the filter and air cleaner completely off ad see if it starts easier.....if it does you are way rich on the bottom....(don't run it like that just see how it will start)

if there is a strong gas smell out the tail pipe before while cranking on it, you are too rich on the bottom for sure.....if you are going to continue to run the 25 pilots you will need to come back in on the mixture screws.....I would run the stock pilots for now and run them about 3 turns out........3 turns out on 25's is deffinately fat on the bottom...I ran 2 rurns out on my ported 686 with the 27.5's.......
I would check the choke assembly also.....
if you ran with the lid completely off I would run the 25's.........but you aren't

try that and let us know what it does

Old 03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol

what bigscary said

2 turns out on each carb (on the air/fuel screw),,,no airbox lid and be sure choke is working properly.

Also be sure your throttle cable is routed properly and not binding somewhere causing it to run above idle

Quick Reply: Wished I never screwed with my Raptor