Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 Raptor won't start - Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Raptor won't start - Please help!!

I have a 2002 Raptor that suddenly died out at Glamis and never tried to start again. Upon much investigation, I found that the pickup coil was bad and replaced the stator assembly with a Ricky Stator. My no spark problem went away and now I have wonderful spark. We had a difficult time getting the starter gears to fit correctly when installing, but it finally went together. We started the bike and it ran for about 5 seconds, but making a heavy/loud whack whack noise, so we turned it off. We started it a second time for about 5 seconds, I heard the noise but is seemed to get a little better, but the bike died.

Now it won't start period. Doesn't matter how many times to crank it, throttle position or choke position. We've tried it all. We pulled the air cleaners, we drained the carbs, we checked the intake boots on both sides of the carbs and found no problems. Still won't start and is acting like it really isn't trying.

We've triple checked that we have plenty of spark.

I'm wondering if the loud noise we heard was the decompression valve? Or just that the starter gears were settling back into position? Any thoughts?

If the decompression valve is stuck open, then that would explain the no start problem.

Any other thoughts on why it won't start?

If we get some responses today, then maybe I'll be able to join my friends at Glamis tonight... PLEASE. PLEASE!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

If you had the flywheel off at all pull it back off to make sure the keyway didnt fall out when putting the flywheel back on. That scenario would give you spark but at a different time, it would run until it spun out of time.

Loud whack whack noises usually get me to pull it apart anyway so you might want to start there. I doubt its the decompression mechanism or pin unless you have been in there too.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You may have two problems.

1). Check your valve adjustment, this happened to mine and wouldnt start at all.

2). The loud whack noise could be your starter one way is going out or is out.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

The flywheel is fine... no need to pull it on the raptor as it is an 'inner flywheel' and the stator is on the outside of it. So no, we didn't touch it.

I was wondering about the starter gears when it comes to the noise.. I think that makes sense.

But what about it not starting? How would the valves go out of adjustment? I'd think they would remain where they were.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

If the bike died check for the carbs to be set into the boots correctly. If it dies or backfires sometimes they pop out of the boots so check that they are seated correctly.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My bike did the same thing and that was the last thing I had adjusted and it fired right up. I havent seen any 02's and up blow the carb off but you can check that too.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I'm aware of the popping out of the boots problem. I've checked the intake and exhaust side of the carbs and the boots are fine. No hole, cracks and they are seated correctly.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is the motor turning over?
Is the piston moving?

Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are moving.
Pull the plug and see if you ave any compression.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, it cranks and cranks and cranks till you wear the battery out and have to jump it. I'm sure the piston is moving but we didn't check that. Can't imagine the piston would stop just from changing a stator [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't either, but if the piston is moving then you know at least the gears are in the correct place.
Checking the valves would be the easiet way to check the timing chain.

You sure everything is still conected well, grounds and all.?.?

Quick Reply: 02 Raptor won't start - Please help!!