Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly For real Off Roaders

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read alot of posts being critical on certain aspects of the Grizzly, Ie limited slip front end, solid rear axle drum brake etc...
I am an advid off road enthusiest, manely with my jeep. Noted the most capable off road vehicle. And Note any hard core off roader will tell you how IFS is not the way to go, remember once suspension travel has reached full compression, there is no ground clearence... Thats why you see Jeeps with a solid front and rear axle. You dont lose any articulation as some may say. Another thing is this three wheel drive stuff, I have a locker in the rear of my jeep and an arb in the front, so it acts as a open diff when not engaged. For 90 percent of the trail riding I do the locker in front will not help me, will hurt me. ITS ONLY GOOD IN DEEP MUD or very uneven terrain where you have one tire off the ground. And limited slip is not an open differential where whenever a wheel comes off the ground it spins twice as fast... It has a clutch pack, by nature they both want to turn at the same rpm, in mud and snow most of the time the will turn together. Using your front brakes mildly will help when one wheel is completely off the ground.
So I guess I am trying to show th other side on why yamaha has set the atv this way, same as honda.

86 honda foreman
00 grizzly
75 cj5
95 wrangler

Old 07-27-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

how do you like your Wrangler? I am looking for a something to add to my 4x4 options , that I can use for hard off roading and the top down. I love my Pathfinder, and it will go most anywhere but the top doesnt come off.
I think that all the companies have good and bad about the 4x4 systems. I am not sure who's is the best and i am not sure there is one best system.
I agree about the IRS it is good when i am by myself but add my GF and some gear and the IRS's huge ground clearance is mearly average like everyone elses.

Old 07-27-2000, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Nice post! Very good information. IS there a perfect 4x4 system on a quad? At least not yet, not for every application.

Old 07-28-2000, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

One of the best four wheel drive systems would be that found in the new Grand Cherokee's. Progressive engagment using hydrolic clutches. Plus it also has a seperate center diff. What great about that is it acts like a limited slip till enough momentum builds in the diff pushing a hydrolic pump to activate the othe wheel.. Honda I heard is implimenting this technology in the new Rubicon in the front end. If true This could be the best all around machine built yet!!!

Old 07-28-2000, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

The "Gero disc" differential or whatever it is called in the Grand Cherokee is already in use in the ATV world. The Bombardier Traxter uses it in their front differential.Works great. As far as limited slips go,whether they are in ATV's or Jeeps they all suck. I would agree though that on an atv most work well enough to get the job done. I've ridden a locker equipped ATV, it gets old after a short while. Though I don't own one, I really like the Polaris set up.Locks up the front only when needed.As close as we are gonna get to an "air locker"

Old 07-28-2000, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Not noted as one of the best offroad vehicles is the Isuzu Amigo....I wanted a jeep bad....But after I drove the isuzu...IT was much smoother on road...and just as capable off road as a jeep....the top comes off too...and it has more room in it than the jeep.
I will give jeep a power advantage though...But I'm happy To be able to get off raod stil when the quad is down.

Old 07-28-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

i can fix my jeep on the trail, kinda like a lego set hehehe. oh and I can take my doors off But I would say for stock vehicles, the amigo is jeeps closest short wheel based competitor... But most jeep owners dont leave their jeep stock... wouldnt it be nice if ARB would start making air lockers for atvs?