Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Tips And Advice For My First Sand Drag Race

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tips And Advice For My First Sand Drag Race

Hi Guys,

Next weekend I am racing my first "official" sand drag at West Michigan Sand Dragway near Silver Lake. I need some tips, pointers, or advice, so that I can do my best.

Here is my setup: 686, 10.75:1, CR ported, lowered way down, front struts, +2.5 swingarm, 22" ultralite Extreme Haulers, stock gearing. Estimate pushing ~ 50-55hp.

So what I need to know, how do you recommend I launch? 2nd gear, rev it up, pop the clutch? Or feather the clutch out?

Also, when shifting, through the gears, which is faster - hold it wide open, tap the clutch lever and shift? Or to let off the gas a little and shift without the clutch?

And any other useful information you can share about setup, technique, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

RR1

Old 05-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for that info. It sure will help.

Any more tips? Are solid struts in the front better than shocks? How low to the ground should I make it? Keep the info coming!

RR1

Old 05-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

solid struts is the best thing u can do for supension, keeps everything on the rear wheels, u definately want it a lil low but it dosnt have to be 2 low, good luck dude im racing this weekend myself

Old 05-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

At the line keep it mid-revs

Start in 2nd so you eliminate the chance to hit neutral and you'll get up to speed faster.

Don't drop the clutch but rapidly feather it out while punching the throttle.

I like to use the clutch during shifting, as a longer solid shift is still faster than a missed too-quick of a shift.

Don't over-rev the thumper, short shift it to keep it in the torque range depending on bite at the track, gearing, and your paddle air pressure.

have fun!

Old 05-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

You will have to see how your gearing, paddle, shocks, and swingarm work together. With my 4.5", stock suspension, and 21-12-8 8 paddle Haulers I see best results if I dump the clutch anywhere from 7-9K. How many paddles are you running? With only a 2.5", you might be wheelying, but only a few trial and error runs can tell for sure.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Also, powershifting full throttle with the clutch is the way to go! When I do it on mine it shoots up a huge roost every time I shift just as if I am launching, it looks sweet!

Old 05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Wallstreet where did you get your tach from i would like one? Also do they make the tach for 2 strokes? Please help thanks. Jason

Trending Topics

Old 05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I got it from Ron Woods Racing (www.rotax.net). They have setups for DS650s, Raptors, and 400EXs. No two strokes from what I have heard, although ones with electric start may be different. If you are wanting any kind of tach, analog or digital, Tiny Tach makes a digital one for around $50 that would work OK, but I prefer the analog.

Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i really like the analog's to. AAEN has one but it comes with a shift light so its around 350 bucks and i wasnt looking to spend that kind of money on a tach.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you everyone for the great info. It will really come in handy.

I am running Ultralite 22x11?x8 Extreme Haulers with around a 72-73 rollout I think. I still don't have them. They should be on the big brown truck right now.

I don't think I will have any problem with the front end coming up. Before the 686 I could launch in 2nd gear on grass with Razr2s and keep the front end down. We will see. I have never ridden with Skat Trak tires before. The only sand tires I used before were Geckos! Hopefully I am in for a good surprise.

I will let you all know how I do. Thanks!

RR1

Quick Reply: Need Tips And Advice For My First Sand Drag Race