Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

I Began to notice my 2002 raptor was leaking oil last time i took it out.. its a slow leek and not on the engine. Whats happening is on the oil tank you have got your oil tank drain plug and behind that towards the engine there is the sump deal thing that sucks the oil. on that sump is where it is leaking oil i went to the yamaha parts finder page and found out that around that pipe is a rubber gasket deal so i figured that that was bad, i went and got a new one and put it on and it still continues to leak oil i cleaned it up real well and watched it and it looks as if it is coming from above that , You have your tank then it sits on a mount and has like a grommet extension well it looks like its coming from that?? what can i do to fix this?? is there a gasket up there that doesnt show up on the parts finder page?? can i rig it so it will slow down the leak more? if worse comes to worse i will just bring oil and dump it in evey hour lol --- am i going to need a whole new oil tank? any help would be appreciated if you dont understand what im trying to say but you have an idea and you would like me to explain better please tell me im pressed for time and i hope i can get this figured out thanks

Old 05-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Heres what im talking about the area.. it doesnt show the other sump but you get the idea right?

Old 05-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

I'm having that same problem right now Pinheadedjoker, i was hoping it was just gonna be that gasket...if i figure out how to fix it i will reply on the solution, but my nearest shop doesnt open until Tuesday so i havent even had the chance to go get the gasket. Plz do post how you fix'd it if you do. My leak's excessive amounts of oil. I just cant figure it out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

ive been searching the forums and sounds like theres a crack or sumthing i havent taken it apart and looked at it but sounds logical im gonna clean it up and jb weld it and just make it work for the weekend but if i figure out a solution after that ill be sure to post you likewise also

Old 05-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Yah, i took mine off and clean'd it up. Theres a crack around the edgre of where the hose hooks up and a small stress crack that comes out about a quarter of an inch out. I'll probobly just have a guy i know weld it up. Hopefully it will hold. Hope it helps out a little. You will prolly just need to get it clean'd real good and have a look.

Good Luck though!

Old 05-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it's not cracked to bad. JB weld will work for a while but it will crack also. Clean it up real good and use some high temp scilicone around it. Go all the way around the part the tube connects to at the base. That will hold the longest until the crack becomes to large and actualy seperates from each other a little. An aftermarket aluminum tank is the only permanent fix. The CFM oil tanks on ebay are the least expensive and the best looking welds imo. I use one and the welds are nice.