Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sport or utility...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport or utility...

im working my tail off this summer to save for a quad, i have about 2100 in the bank and im hoping to have another 1500 in by the end of the summer, which if i continue to work nonstop i will. i would really love a sport quad to have some fun on but so many say a utility could be more practical. i also will be riding upstate ny and a sport atv will, take an extreme beating, in the winters i will use my atv to plow out driveways and side walks,, i looked into the yamaha bruin 350 4x4 and really like it, what are your thoughts, do i need 4x4 to plow and what not? any input would be nice, please dont let this be a pure sport or utility thing , i really need an holnest opinoin and im 15 and when i am about to go out and spend all of my money, i want what i need, i will have no money in the bank when this is over...

Old 07-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

well you'll be plowing snow,so a 4x4 would come in use,but a sport quad is funner on trails and track IMO.So i say try to find a good used scrambler 4x4.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

can i put a plow on that w/o front racks bc i love that atv, but i think w/o racks the plow wont lift and give me the clearence i need.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Not trying to sound like a smartass to clover, but I highly doubt they make plows for Scramblers simply because they're not really considered a utility ATV. I don't think the rack has much to do with the ability to use a plow, because the snow plow I have for my Rubicon has no relationship with the rack what so ever. Unless you're absolutely set on Yamaha, I would give the Suzuki Eiger 400 a hard look. It constantly spanks all the other 400-class machines in the magazine shootouts. You can get auto or manual, 2x4 or 4x4. They are priced VERY good, although maybe not a good as a Bruin, but I'm not sure. They have very good power, especially down low, for a 400 air/oil-cooled engine. I would suggest the auto 4x4 because it has a high and low range (which will help out greatly with plowing) with reverse of course plus the ability to switch in and out of 2x4-4x4. They have a very sporty suspension as well. Top speed will be around 55mph and it won't take it long to get there. Another cool feature; they're already prepped for a winch straight from the factory.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Not trying to sound like a smartass to clover, but I highly doubt they make plows for Scramblers simply because they're not really considered a utility ATV.
Cycle Country makes plow kits for the scramblers. They also have winch mount kits for them too. Just some FYI[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-18-2004, 04:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Will you have a job when you go back to school? Will you have any income during the rest of the year other than summer? Reason I ask is because you have plenty already for a down payment, and you could possibly finance a quad for less than $100 a month if you would have means to make payments. I don't know your situation though.

When I was still in college and making peanuts for cash, I bought my Arctic Cat 500 and financed it for 5 years. I think I had to have my dad co-sign the loan from the bank, cause I didn't have any credit, but it worked out pretty good. I paid like $5550 for the quad and put $600 down on it. Financed it for like 5 years and the interest rate then was like 9.5% (which its lower now). My monthly payment was only $105 and I could make that on the little income I had. When I got out of school and got a decent job, I paid it off in a few months. Basically, it enabled me to have a nice bike when I didn't have the cash to pay it all off at once.

If you could finance it, then your options open up quite a bit on what you could get. If not, I would suggest being patient and looking for a good used quad if you are going to pay cash. And by used, I don't mean rode hard and put up wet. There are lots of guys all over the place that buy stuff, never use it, and then sell it. Those guys that have a friend that is into riding, who talks them into buying a new quad. Then they don't use it much, lose interest (or gain interest in something else motorcycle, jet ski, boat, etc.) and want to sell it to get rid of it. These deals can be found, and are a damn good way to save some money.

As far as sport/utility, I don't know man. It totally depends on what you want there. If you are plowing, you don't need a sport quad. Any utility quad (and I don't really consider anything a sport/utility quad other than a wolverine and scrambler) would fit the bill. Some are sportier than others, but that would make a massive debate there on what would be "best".

Old 07-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

i would keep working instead of paying month by month by month because it ends up costing more. The eiger is a good quad for 150 dollars more but i love the looks of the bruin. i woukld take a bruin over a sport quad because of ground clearance, mudding, ang if you have work for a quad. my ozark is good and the only thing i don't like are the stock tires.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question is too much for me to handle........

Could be why I have a Warrior with a trailer hitch......for the Swisher deck I use to mow my lawn.

I know....it's probably against some sport quad code of ethics but it was the only way I could get the wife to let me have a quad.

YOU'D HAVE ALL DONE THE SAME!

Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

ive been asking around at dealers in ny and alot say they have to wait a while for the eiger, and theyre trying to sell me a bruin. ididnt know it came with a winch, thats ccool. how bout the gears it says manual has high and low hows that work?

Old 07-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

what about a wolverine? seems like exactly what your looking for.

Quick Reply: Sport or utility...