ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   becoming a convert (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/17013-becoming-convert.html)

YZ250WR 08-21-2000 12:29 AM

Just wondering if I could stir up some controversy, I currently own an 89 YZ 250 WR tricked and love riding it but I'm looking for a change. A bunch of my friends that I ride with own quads. Being a Yamaha loyalist, I came to decide (after much debate... warrior or banshee) on choosing the 350 warrior for my next bike. Now here is my question.... What years should I look at and what, if any, years should I stay away from? To give you an idea, I am looking for something in the mid 90's. I would like to know which year gave the best performance and speed, if any. Also, any particular sprocket ratios that work well would be appreciated. I plan to do a lot of trail riding and plan to hit the local sand pits just to give you an idea.

garyc660R 08-21-2000 04:11 PM

Contrary to what you may hear...the Banshee is a great trail rider with over twice the power of the Warrior.

RoostKing 08-21-2000 05:46 PM

Although i would agree with the guy that said buy the Banshee. I will give you the info you asked for. Basically they are all the same. No changes, Nata, None. Zilch!. Other than minor cosmetic chages like shape of the lights. As sad as that may sound its true. You can take a 1st year warrior, late 80's and compare it to a 2000 and they would be the same from year to year. So your best bet would be to find one with the lowest hours on it. They are really good machines though.

RoostKing...

WyoRider 08-21-2000 07:24 PM

The early model Warriors had a different headlight configuration and pull starter back-up starting. The newer Warriors have a parking break rev limiter (my 95 doesn't). There's not much else that's different. Basically they are all the same.

88Warrior 08-21-2000 10:54 PM

Totally not true, they changed the electronic stuff on them and everything. Like the CDI off of a 88 Warrior wont work on a 95 Warrior, and I know that for a fact. Also from what I've seen stock for stock the 87 and 88 Warriors are faster than the 89 and up Warriors.

20blaster00 08-21-2000 11:21 PM

no offense to warrior owners, but warriors don not have a god power to wieght ratio at all. for the sand pits two strokes are better.

wfoblasterman 08-21-2000 11:24 PM

Yeah, I would agree with the rest of the guys who said go with the banshee. Especially since you are so use to two stroke, you'll feel right at home on a banshee. (and love it) But if you are set on a Warrior then go with something with low hours like what was mentioned. I had a '88 and my brother had the first year '87 and he could smoke me like a forest fire. I could beat any other new ones though. I know the '87 had a different carb mount than the rest and thats all that we could see was different. The only thing bad about getting one this old is you dont know if some physcho quad beater in need of treatment abused it by ignoring preventive maintenance through the years. (I know some people like that) Either way your getting a good quad whatever way you go.

wfoblasterman 08-21-2000 11:25 PM

Yeah, I would agree with the rest of the guys who said go with the banshee. Especially since you are so use to two stroke, you'll feel right at home on a banshee. (and love it) But if you are set on a Warrior then go with something with low hours like what was mentioned. I had a '88 and my brother had the first year '87 and he could smoke me like a forest fire. I could beat any other new ones though. I know the '87 had a different carb mount than the rest and thats all that we could see was different. The only thing bad about getting one this old is you dont know if some physcho quad beater in need of treatment abused it by ignoring preventive maintenance through the years. (I know some people like that) Either way your getting a good quad whatever way you go.

YZ250WR 08-21-2000 11:26 PM

Ello again

this is all good stuff...and some of it is contradictory which is fine as well. As much as I would like the banshee, I think I would like to try a 4 stroke for now. I already have a 2 stroke bike and are well aware of some of the hassles of mixing on the trails, the rebuilds, so on and so forth, but I’m also well aware of the perks as well... both are heavy to weigh. Anyway, I do appreciate all the input so far and would some more to keep coming…

I was wondering, how hard would it be to convert the thumb throttle to the twist throttle? Is there a conversion kit or can I use a YZ twist throttle and cable and just change it at the carb? It may sound funny but hey… I ride bikes *smirks*

Finally, what parts on a quad are notorious for breaking and what should I look for (other then the obvious) when pickin out my new beast.

Just one last curiosity, anyone ride up here in NH or Ma??

I guess I’ve bothered you guys enough for today

Thanks again

Tei

dune400ex 08-21-2000 11:39 PM

I don't know specifically about converting a Warrior and whether your YZ twist will work (I suspect the twist unit will, but the cable is probably wrong), but the kits are very good. I've converted 5 different quads (LEM, TRX90, 400EX, Blaster, Banshee) and it's no big deal. I recommend Motion Pro, good product and excellent customer support.