Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor with no Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor with no Oil Pressure

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Usually, it starts pumping oil right way after you change it. It usually a no brainer. Raptor owner beware!

This dude did run this thing low on oil. Maybe it is an air pocket in the gears.

How do you get to the oil pump and strainer in a Raptor? Do you have to separate the case? Or is it accessable thru the side covers? I know that the strainer is on the intake supply to the trans. I believe the intake to the rod and cam is fed directly off the line coming in from the tank. When you pull this line off, oil comes gushing out, so it is not blocked.

What are tha chances that the rod and crank is toast? The cylinder and piston is an easy fix. But if the rod's trashed, it may be better to pick up a complete motor to avoid the hassle.
oil pump is on the right side under the clutch basket, oil strainer is inside the cases, spliting them is required if you look at the bottom of the right side case above the pump you can see the exit for the strainer just blow compressed air in that and it should clear and clogs if there was...doubtful unless it was sludged oil with mud and what not in it

Old 09-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Raptoryfn660r
Originally posted by: sixsixT

Lately I've been putting a Qt. in the engine and a Qt. in the tank when doing an oil change.
sixsixT,
How are you getting the Qt. in the engine?
If I'm adjusting the valves at the same time I pour it in the valve cover. Otherwise I put in in thru the flywheel nut cover.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tank screen is on the hose with a fitting not the one that clamps on.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The crank has an oil hole through the center (obviously providing lube for the big end of the rod). The crank mates too the rubber o-ring that is pressed into the clutch cover. After oil goes through the crank, it goes through this seal, and directly into the oil filter and then too the oil pump. Since the crank is the last too see lube, I would personally asume a small amount of oil was in the cramk for lube (that was not moving since the pump stopped and could have boiled).
Gary

Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

This is what happened:

The one way stater had been grindinig for a while. Chunks from it broke second gear. Chunks from the gear got sucked into the oil pump and took it out. The rest of the engine failed from no oil which broke the piston skirt, trashed the crank, cam and rod.

It was a coincidence that we changed the oil and didn't have oil pressure. The oil pump had already been toasted on the prevous ride.

So, to avoid paying for the $200 one way, this ended up costing my buddy over $1500.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is what happened:

The one way stater had been grindinig for a while. Chunks from it broke second gear. Chunks from the gear got sucked into the oil pump and took it out. The rest of the engine failed from no oil which broke the piston skirt, trashed the crank, cam and rod.

It was a coincidence that we changed the oil and didn't have oil pressure. The oil pump had already been toasted on the prevous ride.

So, to avoid paying for the $200 one way, this ended up costing my buddy over $1500.
LESSON LEARNED - WHEN YOUR ONE WAY IS MAKING NOISE - STOP RIDING IT. There have been many posts about this all thru the forums and thats why I changed mine the first time I heard it. Even though I only heard it one time the bearing was trashed when I took it out.

Sorry to hear that about your buddy.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My guess is, 2nd gear broke, the dog has been floating around for sometime and finaly scraped enough teeth off the oil pump gear. Thus no oil pressure now. 2nd gear will still be present with 1 or 2 dogs gone. The one way is just coinsidence as the bearing does not have an easy way of getting anything large enough into the motor to do any damage like what has happened here. When you take the one way out you'll see the pieces pretty much stay where they broke.

You'll need to split the cases to fix the tranny, might as well open up or replace the strainer while in there. The oil pump gear is behind the clutch basket on the right side of the motor. Sounds like a rebuild is in order. I bet if you take the right side cover off there will be shavings all over the place.

Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
My guess is, 2nd gear broke, the dog has been floating around for sometime and finaly scraped enough teeth off the oil pump gear. Thus no oil pressure now. 2nd gear will still be present with 1 or 2 dogs gone.
This makes sense since he was having trouble getting it to go into second gear shortly before this happened.

What causes the dogs to break?

Old 11-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptoryfn660r

Lately I've been putting a Qt. in the engine and a Qt. in the tank when doing an oil change.
sixsixT,
How are you getting the Qt. in the engine?
If I'm adjusting the valves at the same time I pour it in the valve cover. Otherwise I put in in thru the flywheel nut cover.
What is a Qt?

Old 11-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This makes sense since he was having trouble getting it to go into second gear shortly before this happened.

What causes the dogs to break?
The most common on an 01 Raptor is they only have 3 dogs on the gears. The 02's and later have 4. It can fail by slamming into gear, slamming into reverse, or just be weak. Several other reasons smarter folk than I can explain. 02's and later models have had tranny failures, a few on this forum and I've talked to a guy in the dunes that had his 02 fail as well. 02's and later models by far alot fewer failures than 01's.

One of my 01's had a dog floating around for who knows how long before it took out the oil pump gear and chewed away at other things as well, thus my guess of a lot of shavings in your friends motor. Good luck in fixing it back up.

Quick Reply: Raptor with no Oil Pressure