Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor with no Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor with no Oil Pressure

Qt is quart.

This is an 02 Raptor. It has been driven quite hard.

He is having a Yamaha mechanic fix the bike on the side. He will get away with about $1300. Not too bad considereing the damage.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor with no Oil Pressure

oH......jeez.....yeah......what a mess. The weak forks on the 2001's wear on the weak gears......heating them up.....breaking off the dogs and trashing your tranny - if you can catch your tranny when it's just starting to slip, you can get away without the carnage that will occur if you keep riding it and bust off the gear dog - once that happens, it's ugly in there.

The oil pump.......what a mess. We are on our 4th pump......and about the same number of pistons/valves, etc.......all because of some crap that got in the screen at the bottom of the oil reservoir, which caused the oil pump to seize up and fried the engine. Quickly, I might add. There goes valves, piston, sleeve, oil pump, plastic gears.......rocker arms.....I can go on and on. The problem is.....once this happens, it's SO HARD to clean out ALL the things in the entire engine that could cause that to happen again.......and happen again it did. It takes one tiny sliver of metal lodged in that oil pump to kill it.......and about 3 more minutes of riding to trash the rest of your engine.

We are looking at an entire bottom end replacement now.......I can't tell you how frustrated we both are at this point (I have a YFZ, and it gets ridden by both of us who are racing a series now).....it's like a never ending problem at this point - the only solution left is a whole new engine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]