Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor with no Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor with no Oil Pressure

You know when you change the oil on the Raptor, you fill the front tank to the top, start it, then wait for the oil level to drop so you can finish adding oil?

Well, on my buddies raptor, the oil level never dropped. Took it down the street to get the oil flowing...big, dumb mistake.

Popped of the external oil lines, blew them out. Blew air into the crankcase and every we could think of. Removed the oil bleeder screw from the end of the cam...no oil. The filter is dry.

Now, of course, it's clattering like a school girl at tap dance school....probably from taking it down the street.

It had no problems till we changed the oil!

What the heck is going on?

Old 09-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

OUCH

Old 09-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Good lawd his raptor is toast. Time to go to a 686, stage 2 cam and a whole new ported/polished head.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Was there anything in the tank(chunk of dirt, foreign object, etc) that blocked oil flow out of the tank?

Old 09-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Couldn't find no clogs or debris. It's the darndest thing. Kinda like a bad dream that is real.

The only thing I can think of is chuncks from the starter bearing got stuck somewhere. This quad has been nursing a clanky starter bearing for about a year.

New piston and cylinder would be an easy fix. But the crank and rod's probably toast too.

Do oil pumps just go out? Scarry!

Old 09-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

first off you shouldof just reved it up and left it at that and checked the camshaft screw to make sure, unless you completely disasembled the engine and used assembly lube
...now this does sound weird but im thinking there is air in your oil pump or the nylon gear is trashed, start there if its okay and your going to remove the engine... check the oil strainer or just replace the cheap *** $20 dollar piece of "uninspectable-without-damaging-piece-of-crap"

Old 09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a screen in the tank that the bottom hose connects to, that may be plugged. But it sounds like it may be to late.
Lately I've been putting a Qt. in the engine and a Qt. in the tank when doing an oil change.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Usually, it starts pumping oil right way after you change it. It usually a no brainer. Raptor owner beware!

This dude did run this thing low on oil. Maybe it is an air pocket in the gears.

How do you get to the oil pump and strainer in a Raptor? Do you have to separate the case? Or is it accessable thru the side covers? I know that the strainer is on the intake supply to the trans. I believe the intake to the rod and cam is fed directly off the line coming in from the tank. When you pull this line off, oil comes gushing out, so it is not blocked.

What are tha chances that the rod and crank is toast? The cylinder and piston is an easy fix. But if the rod's trashed, it may be better to pick up a complete motor to avoid the hassle.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
There's a screen in the tank that the bottom hose connects to, that may be plugged. But it sounds like it may be to late.
Lately I've been putting a Qt. in the engine and a Qt. in the tank when doing an oil change.

I do that now on my raptor as well...cause it freaks me out.

I was looking at the service manual. The oil in the bottom of the sump get pumped thru the trans. It then goes back to the tank. It then goes to the oil pump. From there is goes to the rod and wrist pin then back to the sump. Another circuit takes it up to the cam. Then that oil goes back into the sump.

Kinda cool....If it works!

Old 09-04-2004, 06:13 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: sixsixT

sixsixT,
How are you getting the Qt. in the engine?

Quick Reply: Raptor with no Oil Pressure