Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Tune up?

Just bought a 2000 Wolverine for my wife (her father will use it for hunting next week). The questing is what should I do to keep it running truble free for years to come?

So far I have:
Changed the spark plug
Changed the Oil with Yamalube, and the filter (filter was very very dirty, lots of cheeze in it)
Changed air filter to K&N.

Thats It, what else should I do? The Yamaha Stealership wants $375 and says I need the valve's adjusted

Old 09-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

The first dealer said it would take 3.5 hours (without the valves) for $275 + $100 in parts (Canadian prices)

Call another dealer and he said its a 1 hour tune up for $89 +parts and an extra $79 for the valves adj. This sounds better, but what do I have to make sure they do?

Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Buy yourself a service manual and do the work yourself. Everything is easy to do even checking and adjusting the valves. Just follow the maintenance schedule in the back of the owners manual except for the oil change. That needs to be done more often then what they recommend. Stay on top of the air filter and your good to go. You will save yourself a bunch of money and will have the satisfaction of knowing your quad inside and out. I bought the 04' service manual on cd-rom off ebay for $20. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Range Rover

First off do yourself and the wolvy a favor and get rid of the K&N. It will ruin your carb and could even damage your engine. Get a UNI with an airbox adapter from www.nossmachine.com I am not on either companies payroll, but have learned through much experience.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:54 PM
eja
Range Rover

Chad W is right about the K&N another good after market filter adapter is made by Pro- Design .Kit with uni is around $70.00

Old 09-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would also change the oil in the front and rear diff.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Deimos, Whats a WB Torque Stuffer and a EPI Clutch Kit?

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Daranello75
Hey Deimos, Whats a WB Torque Stuffer and a EPI Clutch Kit?
Or can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

Here's a torque stuffer. I've heard they work from some and I heard they are a waste of money from others. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I know nothing about a clutch kit, but I'm sure some others on here have them and will probably help you out.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

The torque stuffer is a small cylinder that is narrow in the middle compared to each end. It fits in the header creating a venturi effect causing more back pressure thus more low end torque. It does not effect top end. For the price it is a good mod. The clutch kit that EPI sells is just heavy duty springs. They dont have an upgraded clutch plate for the wolverine yet. The springs are twice the size of the stock ones and allow for better low end torque and quicker engagement of the clutch. Slightly increased excelleration for better holeshot. Again...for the money it is a worthwhile mod. Springs are $50 and the torque stuffer I got off of ebay for $30. As far as the K&N filter goes I have not had any issues with mine. I use an outerwear with it and I ride in conditions ranging from dusty roads, mud to sand. I have inspected my intake hose and carburator several times and have never found any dirt. As with any filter, if you do not clean on a regular basis you stand a chance of getting dirt into your engine. Almost every website that sells atv products sells the pro flow K&N set up. I dont believe they would sell the product if it was a so called engine killer.

Quick Reply: Wolverine Tune up?