Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

odd banshee smoke,please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd banshee smoke,please help

I just restored my 91 banshee back to totally stock,jetting ,pipes,filter ect.Now it smokes more from one exhaust pipe than the other.And sometimes when i go through big puddles,it will idle real high for a few seconds. Also,my 2000(i think) banshee backfires out of one pipe when your revving really high for an extended period of time,like during a hillclimb. someone please help,i just want these things to run good

Old 02-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Pro Rider

If that smoke is coming from the left side, it might be a crank seal.... Is it thick bluish smoke??

Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

You want to try spraying the crank seals with wd40 while it is running and see if the rpm's change. Two strokes use the bottom side of the piston (crankshaft cavity) as the intake unlike a 4 stroke. You may see blueish smoke if the leak in the crankshaft cavity is located next to an oil cavity such as the gearbox. There is a wall between the gearbox and the cranksaft cavity and since the gearbox holds motor oil it needs to be seperated from the crankshaft. Also on the right side of the engine the crankshaft drives the gears going to the clutch therefore that crankshaft end has a seal that seperates the motor oil on the right side cavity fo the engine from the crankshaft area farther inward. Now leaks in these two areas would cause smoking from sucking motor oil into the crankshaft cavity and being burned with the gas/fuel mixture. The left crankshaft seal in most two strokes usually behind the magneto just keeps incoming air out. There usually is no motor oil in the magneto cavity at that left end of the crankshaft and the exhaust would not be as noticeable. Mostly revving etc. from the lean mixture caused by sucking air in the left crankshaft seal from the dry magneto cavity. 4 strokes commonly have oil in that area, two strokes are usually dry.A shop would remove the carburetor(s) adn put a block off plate with a vacume fitting in the plate over each carb intake manifold. Then they rotate the engine to have the piston close off the ports and then test for vacume. I was told way back that the crankshaft shuold hold about 11 pounds of vacume for at least a minute or two. If not then crankshaft seal(s) or the gasket material in the gearcase halves seperating the crankshaft cavity from the gearbox cavity is suspect. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Well,its not a bad smoke,all two strokes smoke some,the thing is on this one one side smokes more,just the regular two stroke smoke,but oine side smokes more. What about the back firing at high rev?

Old 02-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

i had the simular problem with backfires at high rev on my shee not to long ago. i had a freinds help me and all he did was mess with adjustments on the carbs, (air and throttle screws) once he did this it fixzed it.

if your not sure which way to turn them of how much(like me) id get someone to help you.

hope this helps

Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

My Shee used to Smoke like a FreightTrain.Use to Foul my Plugs. Run like Crap. Made me so Mad.Then a Friend of a Friend Adjust the Carbs Replaced the Plugs.and told me i was mixing the Fuel/Oil Ratio to High Now she Runs Great.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But i still have a small Hesitaion on Takeoff.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Check your carb boots! One may have a crack and making one cylinder run lean....

Old 02-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, are the slides in the correct carbs? Switching the slides can give you problems similar to what you have mentioned.