ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   First ride on a Raptor.................. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/17467-first-ride-raptor.html)

Kiwi-Craig 08-28-2000 06:37 AM

Guys

Had my first ride on a Raptor today, hell the hype is true. I'm not a big Yamaha fan but it's hard not to be impressed.

Both myself and my buddy, canadian pro racer Mark Miller (Honda Canadian Sponsored 440EX rider)found that besides the effortless power, superb steering, tracks like it's on rails and exceptional traction THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ASPECT OF THIS QUAD IS THE SUSPENSION !!!!! this thing handles like a dream, for a production quad it is way impressive....... when could you have EVER said that about a Yamaha ?????

jumps bueatifully, super smooth, great damping, "cushy" but doesn't seem to wallow around... this quad really inspires confidence. Mark was ready to go for broke after just 5 minutes in the saddle............

OK, speed, I'm used to two stroke snap, what gets you on this thing is the effortless ease that it just dials on the grunt it is so deceptively fast it's scary, it does it so easy........ with an exhaust and a few mods it will be scary fast.

Corners flat and firm. Really puts the power to the ground, not a wheelie monster, it just hooks up and goes but with a little body langauge can pull really nice third gear mono's with ease............

At this stage I'd put the money on the Raptor, the DS boys will not be happy when this thing get loose............

Kiwi

bash 08-28-2000 09:04 AM

Craig,

There is another guy on the forum who says that he raced the Raptor against his modified Banshee, and that the Banshee won in every way. Is this your opinion having ridden both?

Secondly, the suspension sounds great! I sold my Banshee in order to get a Raptor because I felt it would be a better woods quad. With the power/torque that you mention, doesn't it seem that I made the right decision?

It may be true that for sand racing, it won't beat a modified banshee, but for cross country and woods, it sounds like it would be hard to beat it with a Banshee.

bash 08-28-2000 09:29 AM

Oh, one more thing. Can you give us an estimate of the top speed? Does it feel about the same as a stock Banshee on top end, or possibly faster?

Thanks you lucky dog!

bash 08-28-2000 02:05 PM

Yeah, I guess that you can tell I'm excited.

Kiwi-Craig,

With the superb photos that you've been known to take, can we expect any from your latest outing on the Raptor?

SprintPusher 08-28-2000 06:56 PM

This sounds right out of the Yamahas public relations team, but I wonder why one article I read claims the Raptor is too narrow, short and sits to high for comfy serious riding.
It will be interesting when the smoke clears to see how this wonder box stands the test of time.
I bet there will be more than a few sick puppies trying to get back to where they were, considering cost vs fun.
Y'all smile

ScoobyDFW 08-28-2000 08:46 PM

Don't count the DS out just yet!

HALL650 08-28-2000 10:39 PM

BRING IT ON DINOSAURS

QuickDS 08-28-2000 11:10 PM

Same here....I cant wait to see one at my local drag strip and see what it actually does on top/et bone stock!

QuickDS
*15.17@78 100% stock, was 3 weeks old and went to the track twice.

weibz 08-28-2000 11:17 PM

You are a lucky dog Kiwi-Craig.

And I really dont care about the top end..even though I expect it to be high....the rest of what you experienced is why I chose to buy it.

Folks, we have the first "actual" civilian ride report. Sounds great. Hype that holds up. Very nice.

shollz 08-28-2000 11:19 PM

All I have to say is just wait.

Just Remember:

When you feel the earth start to shake, and you hear a roar that sends a chill through your spine, and all you see is a streak blow by, that's when you know you have just been smoked by a Raptor.

Dinosaurs will rule the earth again!