Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly top heavy

Old 10-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly top heavy

is the Grizzly top heavy. alot of people I talk to say it is but I like the looks and the power for doubling a extra rider

Old 10-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

You don't just sit on it. You have to ride it. It does roll a little more than a normal sra. I would put better tires on it for sure. Other than that, it is awesome.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yep it's top heavy...but it's a great machine....with awesome power....

Dawn

Old 10-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

yea our 02 grizz dives a little into the turns but all you need to do is tighten up the front suspension with a tool from your dealer and it solves that problem easily.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not really compared to other things. Top heavy and body roll are two different things. Top heavy is a high center of gravity and a light weight front end. There are quads that are more and quads that are less top heavy. I think its in the middle myself. Any IRS quad will have a high center of gravity, but its something you will sacrifice for the ground clearance.

Body roll- yes it will have some just like any IRS or semi-IRS quad will have. This is leaning in turns due to the suspension flexing on the side with more force applied. Stiffenning up the shocks will change this some. Most of your suspension drop is going to be in the front end on turns. From the factory, the quad is set on the next to softest setting. It has 5 settings and comes set on the 2nd. There is some room to adjust here.

Although you hear a lot of crap about it, the quad is not dangerous by any means. The main thing you hear about concerns racing a straight axle quad like a prairie in tight turn situations and being able to drive the straight axle faster than the Grizzly due to the body roll not allowing you to take turns at breakneck speed.

I run mine with the rear anti-sway bar removed (which adds to the body roll) and I've never had one single problem with the results.

If there is anything that makes the quad tippy, its the narrow stance. An aftermarket rim eleviates that problem. That and a 12" wide rear tire makes it very stable, even with a larger tire and added height.

I've driven to what I would find to be the most stable quad ever built for any situation (top heavy or tippy on sidehills) in the swingaxle Arctic Cat 500. This quad was weighed in an ATV magazine shootout once and showed to have 100 lbs. more resting on the front wheels than the rear (amazing for uphill situations). The Grizzly isn't in that ballpark, but its not a bad dropoff in stability coming from that quad to the yamaha.

Its a great bike. Very reliable and very capable. Also probably the best looking quad cosmetically on the market.

Unless you are trying to climb some very hairy $hit, the Grizzly would give you no problems in the way of being top heavy. In that type of a situation, you would want something as low to the ground as possible with a very low seat height and a lot of weight up front. But of course no matter which route you take in choosing a quad, you will always sacrifice one thing for another.