Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who says the Banshee cant................

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who says the Banshee cant................

not everybody is going to drop 15k into a sundahl bike. And dean isnt going to build a chassis for every guy that has that type of cash laying around.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lol gary...still trying to one up me. I wonder how that sundahl chassis with its 13+'' of travel would fair on tt and flat track? being so tall i doubt it would do well in mx, being as heavy as they are it wouldnt do much in drag racing. might do alright at pikes, and yes desert is where it would shine. But at that point the only thing banshee or utilizing banshee geometry is the motor. Swingarm is different, shocks are different, ect ect. You're basically replacing all the weak points, any machine can be hand built for a specific reason.

Thats like me saying my 250r is so and so fast. Neglecting the fact that its 200lbs and has a hybrid motor in it. Hopefully you see what im getting at

Old 10-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
not everybody is going to drop 15k into a sundahl bike. And dean isnt going to build a chassis for every guy that has that type of cash laying around.
Realistically, how many atv's set up for full tilt desert racing are gonna have over 15K invested? Most. Sundahl is not the only builder for a desert Banshee. He done a lot for the Banshee and desert racing....dominance.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you threw his name out, not me.

I know youre trying to prove me wrong. But i believe we are talking stock geometry machines. In which case the banshee just doesnt cut it in desert, mx, xc, or tt/flat track. Anybody can change the geometry around to suit the type of riding they do. But lets keep the conversation on course here, I.E. stock geometry. (sundahls obviously dont use stocker setups which is why they perform as well as they do)

Old 10-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to talk stock geometry machines than most models suck for just about every purpose. The raptor is too tall and skinnny for anything but tight woods. The 250R needed a swingarm adjustment for mx, tt, and flattrack. The zilla needs work, the yfz needs width for mx as does the trx450. All quads need more length for drags and many need less for flattrack and tt. All need extensions for mx and some need to be smaller for xc.

No bike is going to be tops all around, regardless of whether you are talking about an atc350x all the way to a yfz. They all need geometry tweaks.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

only thing wrong with the 250 was the suspension was 17 years old, and the swingarm could be shortened an inch on the 88-89.

These are small changes, and i was replying to gary and the sundahl stuff is far from small changes. that is what my discussion was about.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

lol gary...still trying to one up me. I wonder how that sundahl chassis with its 13+'' of travel would fair on tt and flat track? being so tall i doubt it would do well in mx, being as heavy as they are it wouldnt do much in drag racing. might do alright at pikes, and yes desert is where it would shine. But at that point the only thing banshee or utilizing banshee geometry is the motor. Swingarm is different, shocks are different, ect ect. You're basically replacing all the weak points, any machine can be hand built for a specific reason.Thats like me saying my 250r is so and so fast. Neglecting the fact that its 200lbs and has a hybrid motor in it. Hopefully you see what im getting at
You mentioned desert racing, not me. I was speaking of a stock framed OE type Banshee earlier....but when any type of upper level racing is considered, OE parts and configurations are many times altered. All types of racing are specialized and requires different frame and frame components many times. Pretty straight forward.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you threw his name out, not me. I know youre trying to prove me wrong.
Why does it always have too come too that? No-one has posted anything negative towards myself, so I have no beef with anyone else.....just providing my point of view and maybe shed some light for inquiring minds.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First post by me...lol taking a stock or mildly modified banshee in the desert...lol the thing would fall apart before it got to the finish line...haha

Originally posted by: garyc660R
referring to desert racing...
Ever heard of Dean Sundahl?

Basically sums it up. The desert racing was brought up by me, but you wanted to contest me. You through deans name into the mix to prove me wrong that banshee's can perform in desert racing.

Last time i checked we were talking oem geometry stuff gary. Like i said earlier if i wanted to tailor a bike to how i ride you can do it with ANY machine. "pretty straight forward"

Old 10-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

How much of a banshee is left when setting it up to be areal hill shooter ? pretty much just the motor also, so does that rule it out as the best in drag racing...?

Quick Reply: Who says the Banshee cant................