Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Raptor iddle gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Raptor iddle gear

I have had my 1way go out the first 9 months and it didnt have any engine work done at all and was only piped and jetted. Rode it not very hard at all until I bumped it up to a 690 then raced the **** out of it. 6 months after that I had to replace it again, this time with the L&A and hopefully it will last like they said it will. It didnt have any time on the second 1way at all, probably less than 50 hrs on it.

I know of a friend of mine that has an 01 that it went the first 6 months and it was riden by his wife that only probably went on 3 rides of maybe 2 or 3 days a trip. The messed up thing about it is that the first two times you start your bike you bet that the gear is CHEWED up!! My brother owns a shop in town and when the first one went out he looked at that thing and couldnt believe the time that I had on it compared to what it looked like!! The first words out of his mouth was "Poor Design" is what caused this. I put my new one on at his shop, started it a couple of times(Pulling in the clutch and making sure it was in neutral and not letting off the start button unitl it started) and took it back off just to see what it looked like and man it was getting CHEWED UP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] phuk Yamaha's ONE WAY I SAY!!! But I still like the bike....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Raptor iddle gear

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Maybe I have bad luck. But why do I notice other people with multiple 1 way failures? Why does Ripper Racing even make a 1 way alternative if a couple of people are having bad luck? Is that yours in your pics slammed (nice Rap BTW)? The front tires look like new...how many hours are on this machine? Mine always took approx 180hrs too grenade a 1 way....which is about a year of riding for me. What kind of riding do you do if I may ask?
I'm not trying to say its not a problem, I'm just suggesting that its not a given and that there are plenty of people with no problems with the one way. Ripper racing makes a great product and it's obvious from their success with it that the one way issue is common and widespread, but not universal or even necessarily in the majority.

I do just about all kinds of riding. In the warm months I ride the dunes and compete every other weekend in sand drags along with trail rides before, after and in between. There is a large parcel of state owned land adjacent to the house and it provides a good couple hours of riding without having to trailer anything. In the winter I do some trail riding until the ice gets thick and then its all practice. I have a track built on my property and practice every chance I get.

So all in all I cover most of the bases and ride quite a bit. I couldnt make an assesment on hours because I never pay attention. I change my oil when I think it needs to be and same thing with other kinds of maintenance.

As far as tire wear, I ran the stock setup from my 02 raptor that I sold with aftermarket rims and tires. I didnt like the holeshots so I kept the stockers and Ran them on my 03 raptor for a year or so, then switched again after ice season.

My cousin's bike was purchased the same time my 02 was and they dont take care of it at all. It's had one oil change, and I grease the zerks when I hit my machine and thats the extent of service. No filter cleaning, no valve adjustments, etc. Its stock save for handlebars and front rims damaged in wrecks. My uncle and his 3 boys all take turns riding this machine, so it never sees a lonely weekend. No problems with the one way on that machine.

Another friend of mine has a basically stock bike with a good amount of hours on it, 03 w/ no problems. Another friend has a webcam/springs, and ported head along with bolt ons. Moderate hours and no problems.

Kind of long reply, but oh well, just trying to provide some personal experience to back up my statements. Thanks for the compliments on my quad too, I appreciate them.