Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Arrested a couple of ATV thieves

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrested a couple of ATV thieves

Hey just thought I might share some of this info with you guys and maybe brighten you day.

Yesterday (Saturday) I was called out (On call Detective) refernce a neighboring department had two suspects in custody that admitted to staeling an ATV from my town and two motorcycles from the town in which they got caught. these two knuckleheads were seen by a citizen and approximately 6:30 am Saturday cutting through some yards carrying bolt cutters. He called the police and they started to run. One of the officer driving an unmmarked Chevy Impala with ground effects ( this car does not look at all like a police car) watched as the two ran right up to him from a field. He was able to take them into custody and bring them in for questioning. One of them was a juvenile the other a 19 year old adult. It was found out during the interview that they had been out stealing from garages. They broke into two and took one Honda 300ex, a KTM 125 and a Yamaha PW 50. They put them into a storage Unit, In another nearby town.

We neded to obtain a search warrant fast before one of the suspect got to a phone and called his buddies to go and get the stuff.We then contacted a Deputy Prosecutor and advised him of the situation. He told us what we needed to do and what papaer work to fill out He then came to our station and filled out the paper work for us so we would have everything correct for the judge. We were able to find a judge at home who was more than willing to sign the warrant.

With thewarrant in hand we went to the storage unit and opened it up with tyhe keys the uspect gave us and low and behold all three vehicles were in there. along with numerous tires rims and other atv parts.. The Honda, KTM and Yamaha were in perfect shape not damaged at all. We loaded them up into the truck and took them back. The only thing we didn't take was the other parts. The parts with serial numbers on them we ran and came up with nothing. The other stuff we didn't know if it was stolen or not so we had to leave it.

when I returned to the station I called the owner of the ATV and told him we had recovered it in good condition. He was very happy,thankful and amazed at the speed in which we got it back, (the officer taking the intial report of the theft had left his house approximately 4 hours earlier). I advised hiim that he would probably be able to pick it up this week after we process it and check with the Prosecutor to see if he needs it for court.

You know it's cases like tis that make me proud to be a police officer because there is nothing better than getting stolen stuff back to it's owner, who probably thought he would never see it again. Also I have to praise the efforts of that citizen that called on the two suspects because if he would not have taken action these items would have been parted out and never seen again. also the dedication of the deputy Prosecutoor to come out on his day off and not being on call to help us with the paperwork so it was right.

Tomorrow I will be interviewing the two suspect and charging them with two or three B Felonies for theft and two counts of tresspassing. The adult is in alot of trouble the juvenile won't be as bad off from the charges

Take Care and Ride Safe

Old 04-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Nice Police work.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Way TO Go!!! I wish they caught the bastards that robbed my house about 7 months back....

Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chalk one up for the good guys!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, thats so nice to read that out of all of the bad people, there are still some good people left in this world [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

nice work!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

That is great news...thanks for all the effort, its too bad that there are so many people out that there that would just steal something from somebody that actually worked really hard to get it

Old 04-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

HEY GUYS another story for ya'll we have a small atv group in north east oklahoma and myself and another member were out riding in some pine tree plantations when i seen a quad fender well i drove down in the holler and low and behold there was a 2000 polaris magnum with a winch and all so we drove back to the house and drove to the sheriff's house told him what we found offered our assistance in recovering it out of the hole cause it would not startso we got back out there about 8:30 at nite and spent 3 and a half hours winching it out it was in real good shape we got it put in the sheriff's truck and about two weeks later the owner was found two county's over

Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Thats great news ptlm3! Always like to hear of the ones that didn't get away. Keep up the good work.
700Polaris- not to take away from your story, but it sounds to me like maybe the owner of that 2000 polaris may have been trying to get rid of it, report it stolen and collect insurance for a new one. Either way good job reporting it, some people wouldn't have been so honest.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

ill drink 2 that ........700 polaris...

Quick Reply: Arrested a couple of ATV thieves